Breaking News and Announcements
Be sure to check this page often as it will be updated with any new information about the EMT Program
Announcements October 1, 2017 -
Announcements June 12, 2017
- The EMT Program WILL NOT offer an EMT Refresher class (HlhSci 153) during the Winter 2018 session. This is due to changes in the EMT Regulations and the need for curriculum revision. Next EMT Refresher - TBD
- RECERTIFICATION CHANGES - EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2017
Skills Verification Testing: Effective July 1, 2017 the skills required for California recertification have changed. They now include,
Trauma assessment, Medical Assessment, Bag-Valve-Mask Ventilation,
Oxygen Administration, Cardiac Arrest Management w/AED, Hemorrhage
Control & Shock Management (wound packing),SMR long board, KED,
Penetrating Chest Injury, Epinephrine, Naloxone (Narcan), Childbirh and
Neonatal Resuscitation. Currently (July 1, 2017) - emergencyconcepts.com is one of the only L.A. County CE Providers that has been authorized to test the updated recertification skills in LA County.
- L.A. County EMS Agency fee increase effective July 1, 2017.
- - Initial certification increased from $125 to $160
- - Recertification increased from $87 to $120.
- - Per L. A. County, the fee increase only affects the L.A. County EMS Agency.
- California Recertification regulations have changed. Please check the L.A. County EMS Agency Website for additional information or the new EMT regulations which are posted on the California Emergency Medical Authority's website. www.emsa.ca.gov
- LA County EMT Scope of Practice 2011 - effective July 1, 2017 this has ceased to exist and is no longer required due to the revised EMT Regulations.
Next EMT Class: (Hlhsci 151)
Scheduled for Spring 2018
Apply and register through Admissions and Records. Check college website for schedule, dates, days and times
If repeating the class and you achieved a "C" - download the pdf under Next Refresher Class
Please read through our EMT website for additional information.
We do not offer an EMT class during Winter.
Next EMT Refresher class: (HlhSci 153)
We will not offer the EMT Refresher during the Winter 2018 session. Next class TBD.
Schedule is posted on college website. Student must attend all four days. No
exceptions. For additional information, please click "Classes" link.
must apply and register through Admissions and Records for the
Refresher Course, Health Science 153. This course is approved for 24
hours of Continuing Education effective Summer 2014.
Please check the admissions and records website for further information.
you are having difficulty registering for this class because:
1. you successfully passed the Refresher class in the past
2. you took your initial EMT course at a different college or location
Please pick up a Petition for
Course Repetition form from Admissions and Records. You will need to
attach a copy of your current or lapsed EMT card and if available, a
copy of your original EMT Course Completion form. Turn this in to
Admissions and Records, attention Debbie Sall or Steve Erwin. You will
be added to the class by Admissions. Please monitor your my.canyons email for updates!
You must pay for the class the same day Admissions & Registration
enrolls you into the class. If you do not, the computer will drop you.
If you have any other concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and
include your phone number and name.
Announcement: Effective Fall Semester 2016: All EMT students are required to complete a 10-panel drug screen. Authorization slips available in pamphlet rack outside Towsley Hall 102a or from the Math, Science and Health Professions office.
Announcement: March 2, 2015:
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Skills Testing will no longer be offered at College of the Canyons. Please check the LA County EMS Agency website for other authorized providers. We will continue to test skills as part of the EMT Course and the EMT Refresher Course.
Announcement: Effective August 7th, 2014:
All EMT Students will be required to obtain a "Hospital Fire and Life Safety Card" at their cost. (This is also called "the Blue card") This class is offered through the College of the Canyons Community Education Department. We will not accept online cards. Watch the Community Education webpage for dates and times! The class is listed as "Healthcare Fire Safety".
An additional provider may be found listed under "Links" on the EMT website.
Announcement: NREMT Exam Update!!
Effective January 1, 2015, Authorizations to Test (ATT) for National EMS Certification will be valid for 90 days from the date of issuance, provided all other requirements for National EMS Certification are met. Candidates who do not complete their cognitive examination prior to the expiration date will be required to complete a new application, including payment of the application fee. No refunds will be issued for expired Authorizations to Test. Please refer to the updated NREMT policy on the NREMT website for additional information.
(If you submit payment and receive Authorization to Test, you must schedule and take the test within 90 days!)
- Students will receive all college notifications through the my.canyons email.
- To receive email notifications, sign up for my.canyons email when you apply.
- Students must have an official my.canyons email address to receive emails from the school or instructors!!