You must have either a local EMT card or the state of California EMT card to function as an EMT in California – NREMT alone does not allow you to function as an EMT in the State of California.
If your EMT expires, you may not work as an EMT.
If your CPR card expires, you may not work as an EMT.
March 1, 2014 – new California State fees apply to recertification. DO NOT USE ANY OLD FORMS! Check the L.A. County EMS Agency website for new forms for initial certification, recertification and LIVE SCAN. http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov
NREMT has their own recertification requirements. Please check their website. www.nremt.org
NREMT cards all expire March 31st!
L.A. County EMT cards or State of California EMT cards expire 2 years after the date of issue.
Go to http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov and follow the links to EMT certification.
Current card or expired up to six months
- 24 hours of CE, current CPR card and California Skills Validation Sheet or
- Refresher course, current CPR card and California Skills Validation Sheet
Card expired 6 months, but not more than 12 months
- 36 hours of CE, current CPR card and California Skills Validation Sheet or
- Refresher course and 12 hours of CE, current CPR card and California Skills Validation Sheet
Card expired 12 months—but less than 24 months:
- 48 hours of CE, current CPR card and California Skills Validation Sheet and take certifying exam (National Registry) or
- Refresher course and 24 hours of CE, current CPR card and California Skills Validation Sheet and take certifying exam (National Registry)
Card expired over 24 months:
If cert has expired over 2 years – you must retake the entire EMT course, skills exam and state certifying exam (currently the National Registry test)
COC offers skills testing as part of its refresher class and EMT course.
Breaking News: COC EMT Program is offering EMT Skill testing through COC Community Education Department.
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Skills Testing is designed for current or recently lapsed EMTs needing skills verification. This course meets the State of California Skills Testing Requirements for EMTs to recertify and the National Registry for EMTs (NREMT) skills requirements. Next classes scheduled for July 19, Sept 13, Oct. 11 and Nov. 15, 2014. Study materials may be found on the Community Education webpage. Students must register through the Community Education website. No walk-ins accepted.
College of the Canyons also offers a Refresher class during Summer and Winter sessions. Please check the Refresher class page on the website for additional information.