What is Culinary Arts?
Culinary Arts is the art of cooking. If you have a passion for food and creating food for other people, then Culinary Arts training may be just what you’re looking for. A culinarian is more commonly known as a cook or a chef.
What kind of Culinary Arts training can I receive at
College of the Canyons?
The Culinary Arts program prepares future working cooks and chef assistants,
provides courses for students desiring personal enrichment, and enhances
the skills and professional qualifications of chefs and cooks currently
employed in the industry. The program provides students with intensive
professional and practical experience and a hands-on approach to the daily
operation of a professional kitchen. There is a balance between developing
the skills of food preparation and the restaurant management qualities
necessary for career growth. The program focuses on cooking skills development,
problem solving, and challenging students to critically evaluate the
strengths and weaknesses of culinary operations and identify entrepreneurial
approaches to operations.
Where do trained culinarians work?
Trained culinarians are continually needed in both the hospitality and tourism industries. Employment in the foodservice area is growing and will continue to grow. Some career possibilities include positions in restaurants, clubs, bakeries, hotels and institutions. There are many different kinds of kitchen organization and, as a result, position titles vary.
Here are some examples:
• Executive chef
• Chef de cuisine
• Sous chef
• Chef de partie
• Cooks and Assistants
Programs include: Culinary Arts Certificate of Achievement, Baking and Pastry Certificate of Specialization
Industry Forecasts and Facts
• The number of jobs for chefs, cooks and food preparation workers has increased 9-17% since 2004 and is projected to continue.
• 9% of employees in the US work in the restaurant industry.
• In 2007, restaurant sales will increase 5% over 2006 and will average about $1.5 billion per day.
• Restaurant sales will equal 4% o f the gross domestic product in the US in 2007.
• Over 70% of eating and drinking establishments are independently owned.
• Almost half of American adults have worked in the restaurant industry at one time.
What more information?
For more information about the College of the Canyons Culinary Arts program, visit the college’s website at: www.canyons.edu or call 362-3655.