Migrating to Blackboard 9
STEP 1: Import your Archived Course into your new Blackboard 9 Course Shell
To import your archived Blackboard 8 course into Blackboard 9:
- Go to the Control Panel in your Blackboard 9 course and click on 'Packages and Utilities.'
- Select 'Import Package/View Logs.'
- Click on the 'Import Package' button.
- In the 'Select a Package' section, click on Browse to find the .ZIP file of your archived Blackboard 8 course.
- Check the boxes for any and all content that you want imported from your Blackboard 8 course. Whatever you leave unchecked will not be imported.
- Click 'Submit.'
- Wait several minutes to one hour and your course should be populated. You may need to do some clean up by removing extra menu items and/or grade center columns.
- Once you receive the confirmation/results e-mail, you may see errors listed from the import process. Often these errors are benign. Just be sure to go in and check your new course to see that your materials imported.
STEP 2: Make your course available to students
- Within your course select "Customization" in the Control Panel menu on the left.
- Within the expanded menu of "Customization" Select "Properties."
- In step 3 under Set Availability move to "yes" and click submit.
STEP 3: Learn more about Blackboard 9!
Take some time to learn more about the new system:
- Visit http://ondemand.blackboard.com to check out some tutorial videos for a wide variety of Blackboard 9 topics.
- Attend a workshop! Visit http://www2.canyons.edu/Offices/PD/ to take a look at the schedule of available workshops. There are two types to choose from:
- Introducing Blackboard 9.1: An Overview for Current Blackboard Users (1.5 hours)
This is a workshop intended for active Blackboard users in the current version who want a quick overview of new features and functionality in the new version.
- Blackboard 1, 2, 3 (6 hours)
This workshop series is intended for those who are new to Blackboard and/or would like a comprehensive overview of the system. This is the same series that is one of the prerequisites to become qualified to teach online at COC.
STEP 4: How to copy course content from course to course.
- Login to Bb.
- Select the course you want to use as the course of your copy.
- Click on Packages and Utilities in the Control Panel Menu.
- Select Course Copy.
- In the dropdown select Copy Course Materials into an Existing Course
- Click Browse and select the Destination Course ID you want to copy the content into.
- Select all of the Course Materials you want to copy into the course.
- Click Submit.
- An email will be sent to you once the process is complete.
STEP 5: How to archive your course
- Inside your course click the “Packages and Utilities” link under your course menu.
- Click on Export/Archive Course
- Click on Archive Course. (Archive is an exact copy of your course and Export allows you to choose certain sections of your course you want to export.)
- Check include grade center history.
- Click Submit.
- The file will be queued on the server and you will receive an email when it is completed.
- To save your archived or exported file to your computer go into your course and back into the Export/Archive section of your course. Click Submit.
- Their under File Name will be your Archived or Exported file.
- If you click on the file you will be able to download the file onto your computer.
Questions or guidance?
If you have questions, please contact one of us for help!