Want to Teach Online/Hybrid?
What do I need to do before teaching online/hybrid at College of the Canyons?
- Technology Baseline: This self-paced online training ensures that instructors have the basic computer knowledge necessary to teach online.
- Canvas Certification: This training provides an overview of Canvas, including layout and settings, how to build, organize and edit content, effective online communication tools, and Canvas assessment tools. Training can be completed through the online self-paced Canvas course, or by attending in-person 4-hour workshops through the Professional Development office. (Prerequisite: Technology Baseline)
- Section 508/Accessibility workshop: This training is provided to ensure that web pages, electronic content, and software are compliant under Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act. Complete this training by attending 1-hour workshop, offered throughout the year, including during the summer. Scheduling details are listed at the Professional Development website and announced via COC email. () Prerequisite: Technology Baseline
- College-level coursework in online teaching strategies: At COC, "Introduction to Online Instruction" (previously ITL-106) fulfills this requirement, and is offered 1 to 2 times per year through the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning. Register online at MyLearningPlan. An equivalent fee-based course is also available to complete through @ONE.
- Certificate Renewal: Instructors will refresh their Online Instructor Qualifications every three years by completing a self-paced online training (approx two hours), which includes updates on technology, regulations, accreditation requirements, best practices, and resources.