Cal Grant Program

Cal Grants are free money for college that you don't have to pay back. You can use your Cal Grant at any qualifying college in California. Depending on the Cal Grant you receive, the money can be used to pay for tuition, fees, books, supplies, housing, food and even transportation costs to and from classes. You must submit your FAFSA or California Dream Application AND your verified Cal Grant GPA by the March 2. Students who miss the March 2nd deadline AND who plan to attend a California Community College in the Fall, have until September 2nd to apply.
College of the Canyons submits most GPA verifications electronically. Check with the Financial Aid Office to verify that your GPA will be included in the submission. Otherwise, a GPA verification form completed by your high school or prior college would be required.

Cal Grant A or B Entitlement Grant for High School Seniors

Starting with the 2000-2001 graduating class, every high school senior who meets the academic requirements may be eligible to receive a Cal Grant A or B Entitlement award:
  • 3.0 GPA for Cal Grant A
  • 2.0 GPA for Cal Grant B
  • Meet the qualifying income & asset ceilings
  • Apply by March 2nd of your senior year in high school or the year following graduation
  • Starting Fall 2007, all students offered a Cal Grant B Entitlement must complete the California High School Graduation Certification Form
    In addition, eligible students have an opportunity to compete for 25,750 Cal Grant A or B Competitive awards. Of the awards set aside for competitive Cal Grant A and B, half are for community college students who apply by a second deadline of September 2.

Cal Grant A and B California Community College Transfer Entitlement Grant

High school seniors who graduate after June 30, 2000, go to a California Community College and then transfer to a qualifying baccalaureate-degree granting college may be eligible for a California Community College Transfer Entitlement (Cal Grant Transfer Entitlement). This award is either a Cal Grant A or B. To qualify, you must have at least a 2.4 community college GPA, meet the Cal Grant financial and eligibility requirements, be under 28 years of age as of December 31 of the award year and apply by March 2nd. You MUST transfer from a California Community College to a bachelor's degree-granting school in the award year for which the award is offered.

Cal Grant C

Students that are vocationally oriented, enrolled at least half-time in a course of study to acquire marketable job skills in a recognized occupational program, and falls within the established income and asset ceilings, and applies by the deadline may be eligible to receive a Cal Grant C award!

General Cal Grant Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for a Cal Grant, a student must:
  • Submit the FAFSA or California Dream Act Application and your verified Cal Grant GPA by the deadline;
  • Be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen or meet AB540 criteria;
  • Be a California resident when you graduated from high school or meet AB540 criteria;
  • Have a valid Social Security number or meet the AB540 criteria;
  • Attend a qualifying California college;
  • Be in a program leading to an undergraduate degree or certificate, and not currently have a bachelor's or higher degree;
  • Have financial need at your college;
  • Have family income and assets below the established ceilings;
  • Meet any minimum GPA requirement;
  • Be attending school at least half time;
  • Have registered with the US Selective Service, if required;
  • Not owe a refund on any state or federal educational grant;
  • Not have a delinquent or defaulted federal student loan;
  • Not be incarcerated;
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress.



Click here for the Cal Grant GPA Verification Form

Student Website For Cal Grant Status or
Phone 1-888-CA-GRANT