The Child Development Grant Program is a need-based grant designed to encourage students to enter the field of child care and development in a licensed children’s center.
How Much Can A Student Receive?
Selected grant recipients who are attending a two-year postsecondary institution, such as College of the Canyons, maybe eligible to receive up to $1,000 per academic year, and recipients attending a four-year university maybe eligible to receive up to $2,000 per academic year.
What do I need to Apply?
To be eligible, an applicant must meet all of the following requirements:
- Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen;
- Be a California resident or meet AB540 criteria;
- Meet federal Selective Service filing requirements;
- Submit a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA);
- Enroll in approved courses leading to a Child Development Permit;
- Be nominated by an eligible postsecondary institution or nominated by the employing agency (The employing agency must hold an approved waiver of staffing qualifications on behalf of the applicant.);
- Maintain at least half-time enrollment in approved courses leading to a permit;
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (Eligibility & Academic Standards);
- Commit to full-time employment in a licensed children's center in California for a period of one year for each year you receive the Child Development Grant.
How do I Apply?
Two forms are needed to apply for the Child Development Grant:
What happens after I Apply?
- The California Student Aid Commission will select grant recipients each academic year from the nominees submitted.
- The applicants will be scored based on the student's financial need and academic achievement.
- Once all of the above is completed, the California Student Aid Commission will send a letter notifying you of your award status.
- Eligible grant recipients will be disbursed funds through the financial aid office.
Note that the amount of the Child Development Grant, when combined with a Pell Grant, may not exceed the student's cost of attendance.