Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for financial aid?

The FAFSA, or Free Application for Federal Student Aid, is the basic application for all federal and state financial aid offered at College of the Canyons. You may complete the application at the U.S. Department of Education's Website

When do I apply?

At a community college you can apply for federal student aid all year long. The FAFSA becomes available January 1st of the award year. You must apply by the last day of the award year in order to be eligible for financial aid for the current award year.

Do I need to apply for student financial aid every year?

Yes, to continue receiving aid, you must reapply each year and demonstrate that you still have financial need, in others words - YOU MUST RE-QUALIFY EVERY SCHOOL YEAR. Students who filed a FAFSA last year will receive Renewal FAFSA information via mail or email from the U.S. Department of Education. Renewal students may complete a Renewal FAFSA online at Students submitting a Renewal FAFSA need to only update the information that has changed and answer any blank questions.

What is a Request for Additional Information Letter?

After you apply, you may be requested to submit additional documents to complete your file. The Request for Additional Information Letter will be mailed to your home address and it will describe exactly what documents are needed to complete your file.

What is an Award Letter or Financial Aid Award Notification?

An Award Letter or Award Notification informs you of your eligibility for student financial aid. It informs you of what financial aid types and dollar amounts for which you have qualified. This award letter is the college's contract with you for the academic year. IMPORTANT NOTE: The college reserves the right to modify your awards at any time. To view your Award Letter check your financial aid status online at

When will I receive my student financial aid funds?

Your Award Notification will advise you of each type of aid you've been offered. You will find the disbursement dates for each type of aid awarded on the Important Dates page. Grant and Loan funds are disbursed according to your preference selected on

How can I get a student loan?

Students interested in taking out a student loan must complete the Student Loan Activation process from the Financial Aid website:

How do I find out if I qualify for a Board of Governor's Enrollment Fee Waiver (BOGW)?

You must complete a FAFSA, California Dream Application or a BOGW Application. Qualifying is based on your residency status, prior year income and family household size, or that you are a recipient of public assistant benefits. The BOGW program provides waivers of enrollment fees for qualified California resident or AB540 students. THIS IS NOT A CASH GRANT. BOGW applications are available from the Financial Aid, Admissions, Counseling, EOPS/CARE and MESA offices, and is included in the College of the Canyons Schedule of Classes.

What if I don't have enough money to buy my books?

You are expected to have resources available for the purchase of books as financial aid student grant and loan funds are generally delayed about thirty days after the start of each term. If you have already been awarded a Pell Grant and are waiting for funds to arrive, you may be eligible for an advance against your grant to purchase your books at the COC Bookstore through the Book Scrip Loan Program. Your book advance will be automatically deducted from your Federal Pell Grant once your grant is disbursed. Inquire in the Financial Aid Office.

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress?

•Maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA (grade point average)
•Complete at least 67% of ALL units you attempt
•Finish your educational objective within 150% of the maximum allowable units.