The Future Instructors in Training Program (FIT) provides a unique opportunity for qualified individuals to explore and develop a career in community college instruction through an internship program with the Santa Clarita Community College District. The FIT Program seeks to address diversity needs of the region by preparing our interns to become exemplars, as community college faculty, of the inclusive and sensitive teaching practices reflective of the diversity of our students and the community.
We are always looking for dynamic instructors that can offer our students new perspectives as well as long developed experience. The FIT Program combines pedagogical trainings with mentorship and hands-on classroom experience, providing invaluable training through participation in projects and assignments that allow for the practical application of academic knowledge and the development of skills necessary for a career in higher education.
It's never too early or too late to start thinking about a career in teaching! The FIT Program is designed to inspire, recruit, and prepare career professionals and graduate students for the opportunity to join the instructors of today in community college teaching, to be come the instructors of the future. The program is open to all qualified applicants who meet the State Minimum Qualifications in the subject area in which they are interested in completing their internship.
For more information, please review the FIT FAQs.
FIT is set to launch its first Spring cohort in Spring 2019 with applications being accepted for any offered discipline. The FIT Program required components include:
- A two-week evening "Intership Preparation Course" held in January 2019 designed to provide essential training in teaching methodology;
- A Spring 2019 internship, where each participant based on their educational background, demonstrated aptitude and career goals, is paired with a mentor from among COC's dynamic faculty; and
- Select events during the Spring 2019 semester.
Following successful completion of the Spring Internship, FIT participants graduate with the preparation and tools necessary to pursue adjunct teaching positions with College of the Canyons!
Schedule for the Internship Preparation Course:
Begins: January 15, 2019
Ends: January 31, 2019
Seminars typically occur Tuesday - Thursday from 6:00pm-9:00pm
Applications due Friday, December 7, 2018
- Complete the Application Form
- Complete the Intern Schedule and Campus Preference Form
- Provide a letter of interest for the FIT Program. In that letter include the discipline(s) you are interested in teaching as well as an explanation of the completion of your undergraduate and graduate degrees and GPA (signed and dated original, no copies, no faxes, no form computer-generated signatures)
- Provide a current resume
- Provide copies of college/university transcript(s), including ALL higher education units attempted. Higher education includes ALL coursework completed beyond high school that address the minimum qualifications needed in your discipline. If you have foreign transcripts, they must be evaluated by a company who is a current member of http://NACES.org/
Please mail or email you fully completed application packet to:
Ms. Rian Medlin, HR Director - Recruitment & Employee Services, FIT Program Coordinator
Human Resources, 26455 Rockwell Canyon Road, Office 360, Santa Clarita, CA 91355