Applicant: Change-of-Status Student (Inside the U.S.)
An international change-of-status applicant is a student who wishes to study full-time at College of the Canyons on an F-1 (student) visa, who currently has a U.S. visa that is not an F-1 (student) or J-1 (exchange) visa, who is eligible to petition to change their current status to F-1 (student) status, and who is applying from inside the United States. If your status as an immigrant or nonimmigrant has not yet expired, you may apply with the following documents to obtain a certificate of eligibility:
Items to Complete
International change-of-status applicants (inside the U.S.) to College of the Canyons are required to complete the following:
  1. Submit the ISP Application Form​​ to or in person at the ISP Office at the Valencia campus. When submitting the application, make sure to attach a current photo of yourself outside of your passport or visa photo. This photo must be recent, and may be either a selfie you have taken, or a photo someone else has taken of you.
  2. Provide a bank statement dated between 180 days and 60 days of the start of your classes. This bank statement must show, at minimum, the amount listed on the tuition and fees page for the academic year.
  3. If you are being sponsored by someone outside the U.S. or are sponsoring yourself, submit the Affidavit ​of Financial Support Form. If you are being sponsored by someone inside the U.S., submit the I-34 form in addition to submitting an Affida​vit of Financial Support.
  4. Have a licensed physician or medical professional fill out a Freedom From Tuberculosis Form. Applicants are required to demonstrate that they are free of tuberculosis infection or are on a medically approved treatment plan. Please submit this form yourself to
  5. Submit proof of completion of secondary education with the list of courses taken. Typically, this is a copy of your graduation certificate/diploma. If credit courses were taken at any U.S. educational institutions, official transcripts from all U.S. institutions are required for admission.
  6. Submit a copy of your passport's picture page(s) that shows the expiration date, name, picture, and date of birth.
  7. Submit a copy of your most recent I-94 form.
  8. Submit proof of English proficiency* (see table below).

*If your tested English language proficiency is below the accepted level, you may still apply with a major in English Language Training.


English Language Requirement 

The English language tests and minimum scores listed in the table below are accepted by College of the Canyons for international applicants.


​Test Name and Website Minimum Score Required​​
EFSET Plus - EF Standard English Test ​45 or higher
IELTS Academic - International English Language Testing System ​5.0 or higher
STEP Eiken - Test of English ​Grade 2 or higher
TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language​
  • 450 Paper-Based Test (PBT)
  • 133 Computer-Based Test (CBT)
  • 45 Internet-Based Test (IBT)
  • Institutional TOEFL scores will not be accepted

 Alternative proof of English language proficiency includes:

  • Proof of citizenship from a country that uses English as a primary language in its educational system;
  • Transcripts from a U.S. college or university verifying a minimum of one year attendance and completion of General Education classes with a GPA of 2.0 or above;
  • Transcripts from a college or university that provides instruction in English verifying a minimum of one year attendance and completion of General Education classes with a GPA of 2.0 or above;
  • Graduation certification or transcripts verifying graduation from a U.S. high school.
EFSET Scores Here is the interpretation and admittance guide for the EFSET test. Scores are based on the Common European ​Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) language proficiency levels.
After You Apply
As soon as you are granted F-1 (student) status:
  1. Report to the ISP Office by submitting a copy of the approval document.
  2. Provide ISP with an official copy of your high school and college transcripts and a copy of your diploma/certificates.
  3. Provide ISP with evidence of health insurance**.

**Insurance from MediCal and Medicaid do not meet this requirement.

Start preparing yourself for the coming term to enroll in by:

  1. Completing the College of the Canyons Online Orientation through your My Canyons account.
  2. RSVPing for the on-campus Mandatory New Student Orientation​.