Applicants: Why choose us?
Reasons why College of the Canyons might be the best choice for your academic plans:
Lower cost of tuition than 4 year colleges and universities and 10% than surrounding community colleges
Flexible class schedules for over 60 fields of study
International Student Office offers great international student support
The College has a great reputation and one of the highest transfer rates to 4 year colleges and universities in Southern California for students whose academic goal is to transfer and obtain a bachelor’s degree.
From your initial application to requesting letters of recommendation, College of the Canyon's International Students Program provides professional guidance.The International Students Program offers a variety of social activities and academic assistance.
We understand it is not easy to leave family and friends at home to study in America. That is why our International Students Program has a staff trained to assist you with your special needs. From the day we receive your application until the time you graduate or transfer to a four-year university, we will help you with visas, housing, academic counseling, orientation to the college,
English and math testing, placement in classes, course selection and assistance in registration. You will be able to make individual appointments with the International Students Program counselor throughout the academic year.
College of the Canyons wants you to be comfortable in the American academic community. The International Students Program sponsors social and other activities on and off campus. You will be invited to join your choice of more than ten other COC student clubs. All these offer opportunities for making friends from America and throughout the world.
- Applicants who wish to obtain a certificate of eligibility (an I-20 Form) for an F1 student visa, and study full time at College of the Canyons must submit the application documents listed at the checklist supplied by the International Student Program on the specific application page.
- The College of the Canyons through the International Students Program evaluates the application forms and the accompanying documents and if the application is complete, it issues a certificate of eligibility called an I-20 form. The applicant will receive the certificate with has a Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) number and provides the authorization needed for student visa application. The applicant will also receive a letter of acceptance and print outs with information regarding the visa interview and possible arrival in US as aninternational student.
- Once the applicant receives the letter of acceptance and the I-20 form the next step is for the applicant to pay the SEVIS fee to US Government either through the online services at www.fmjfee.com or in person at the US embassy.
- The applicant schedules a visa interview appointment with the US embassy; usually at the embassy at the applicant’s home country.
- The applicant appears for the appointment visa interview; a student visa is issued once the visa interview is successful.
- The applicant makes travel plans; arrives in the US at the port of entry obtains a stamp on the arrival departure form (form I-94) and obtains student status for the duration of studies in the U.S.A.
- The student checks in at the College of the Canyons International Students Program office and then at the admissions office; obtains student ID number.
- The student sets an appointment with an academic counselor
- The student attends the required new international student orientation and registers for classes on a semester basis.Payment for the classes is required at the time of registration.
- The student purchases books and other class supplies as needed
The student starts her/his studies at College of the Canyons. Completing the semester with 12 units is a requirement.
Please click now on the "Apply Now.." option, and choose your current status.