1. Introduction to Online Instruction - Online Course (36 hours)
Monday, July 11 – Friday, August 12, 2016
#020F Introduction to Online Instruction
100% Online course
FLEX credit - 36 hours*
Presenter: Thea Alvarado
Strategic Goal: Teaching & Learning
Introduction to Online Instruction will explore the application of learning theories for online learners; differences between face-to-face and online learning; resources for online teaching and learning; course management systems and online learning tools; and best practices for online learning. The class is designed so that participants will experience the components of an online course from both student and instructor perspectives.
Pre-Requisite: Particpants must have completed Canvas Communication / Assessment & Organization/Content workshops (4 hours) prior to the start of this course.
* Full-time faculty can accrue FLEX credit up to the number of hours the class meets (2 units = 36 hours, e.g.) OR apply 2 units toward salary advancement (see COCFA contract).
* Adjunct faculty can receive FLEX credit as well, though not to exceed the limit per semester as outlined in the adjunct faculty contract.
2. Canvas Workshops: Communication/Assessment & Organization/Content (4 hours)
Upcoming Canvas workshops are listed below. Please click on the workshop links for additional information and to sign-up to attend. Please pre-register at least 24 hours in advance of the workshop date to allow time for your Canvas shell to be created.
FLEX credit - 2 hours
This workshop will compare the differences between Canvas and Blackboard. We will also demonstrate the communication tools (Email, announcements, notifications, etc.) and explain student assessment (Tests, gradebook, feedback, etc.).
Tuesday, May 24, 10:00am – 12:00pm, Workshop #706S (BONH-106 and ONLINE*)
Tuesday, June 28,
FLEX credit - 2 hours
This workshop will compare the differences between Canvas and Blackboard. We will also examine how to create content (upload, add items, applications, etc.), implement class organization (syllabus, calendar, groups, etc.), and demonstrate the use of Canvas Commons.
Monday, May 23, 2:00pm – 4:00pm, Workshop #705S (BONH-106 and ONLINE*)
* WEB-EX log-in insturctions for the ONLINE workshops will be e-mailed to you prior to the start of each workshop. If you have any questions about this, please e-mail Chad Estrella: email@example.com.
3. Section 508 Information Technology Compliance workshop (1 hour)
Find out how to ensure that your departmental purchasing, usage, and design of information technology is compliant under Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act. Learn how to make your web pages, electronic content, and software compliant with this state and federal law, known as Section 508. Learn what the law requires, how accessibility guidelines affect your department, and how to make sure your use of information technology is compliant.
FLEX credit – 1 hour
Presenter: Scott McAfee
Upcoming Section 508 Workshops are listed below. Please click on the workshop title links for more information and to sign-up to attend.
Thursday, May 26, 2016
11:00am – 12:00pm
ONLINE /CCCConfer (log-in instructions will be posted soon)
To receive your Online Instructor Certificate, please email Leslie Carr at firstname.lastname@example.org once you have completed all three requirements.