College of the Canyons has named Ted Iacenda as the interim head football coach, the college announced on Friday, Feb. 8, 2013, pending the Board of Trustees' final approval on Feb. 13. Iacenda will become the fifth head coach in the football program’s history, and will take the place of the departed Garett Tujague, who took an offensive line coaching position at Brigham Young University in early January.
“We welcome Ted to College of the Canyons and look forward to his leadership of our football program,” said College of the Canyons Chancellor Dr. Dianne Van Hook. “We know he will help to shape our players into outstanding student athletes. He brings high standards, a focus on teamwork and a commitment to student academic success.”
Iacenda joins College of the Canyons after a seven-year stint at Bishop Alemany High School as an assistant head coach under former COC offensive coordinator, Dean Herrington. He helped Alemany win league titles in six of his seven seasons, and helped the Warriors achieve a 62-23 record during his stint.
Prior to his appointment at Alemany, Iacenda spent four seasons with College of the Canyons working with the running backs, wide receivers and special teams under then-head coach Chuck Lyon. With the Cougars, he helped the team go 48-4 while claiming four Western State Conference titles, two Southern California Championships and a state and national title in 2004.
Iacenda was a standout football player at Hart High School and helped the squad win a California Interscholastic Federation Division II title in 1995 and was the runner-up in 1994. The highly decorated player transferred to the University of Southern California and later to the University of New Mexico.
“Ted is a local football product with local athletic ties and a great understanding of what football means to this valley and to this college,” said dean of physical education and athletics Len Mohney. “He brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the field and we’re excited to see what he will do as head coach of the Cougar football program.”
• Born in Glendale, Calif., on Nov. 8, 1977
• Family: wife Courtney
PREVIOUS COACHING EXPERIENCE:
• Running backs and wide receivers at Trinity Valley (Texas) Community College (2001)
• Running backs, wide receivers and special teams coach, College of the Canyons (2002-05)
• Assistant head coach at Bishop Alemany High School (2006-12)
• Bachelor's degree in university studies from University of New Mexico in 2000
• Master's degree in sports management from United States Sports Academy in 2004
COLLEGE PLAYING EXPERIENCE:
• One-year letterman as a fullback at University of Southern California (1997)
• Two-year letterman as a running back at the University of New Mexico (1999-00)
• Year School (Record, Postseason)
• 2001 Trinity Valley Community College (4-5)
• 2002 College of the Canyons (10-2, CCCAA State Championship)
• 2003 College of the Canyons (11-1, CCCAA Southern California Bowl)
• 2004 College of the Canyons (14-0, CCCAA State Championship)
• 2005 College of the Canyons (12-1, CCCAA Southern California Bowl)
• 2006 Bishop Alemany (4-6)
• 2007 Bishop Alemany (8-4, Western Division Quarterfinalist)
• 2008 Bishop Alemany (11-2, Western Division Semifinalist)
• 2009 Bishop Alemany (10-4, Western Division Finalist)
• 2010 Bishop Alemany (12-1, Pac-5 Division Semifinalist)
• 2011 Bishop Alemany (8-3, Pac-5 Playoffs)
• 2012 Bishop Alemany (9-3, Pac-5 Quarterfinalist)