Archival News Release
This is an outdated document posted for archival purposes. Click here for current news.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 26, 2012
A Day-Tripper's Delight: Community Education Offers Single-Day Tours
Beginning in September, the College of the Canyons Community Education department will offer local residents the chance to venture out of the Santa Clarita Valley and explore some of Southern California’s most popular destinations, with a series of single-day tours scheduled to take place throughout the fall semester.
COC Community Education single-day tours are intended for adult community members of all ages, who are interested in experiencing some of the Los Angeles region’s most famous and culturally significant buildings, plazas, museums, restaurants and historical landmarks, with the help of a knowledgeable and professionally trained tour guide.
All tours are developed and operated by the fully licensed tour operator Good Times Travel, using the company’s fleet of fully equipped luxury motor coaches and staff of professionally trained tour directors.
Single-day tour prices vary according to schedule and destination. However, all trips include round trip transportation from the college’s Valencia campus to the tour’s destination and all admission costs associated with the trip —along with an abundance of sightseeing and photo opportunities.
As the first event in the series, COC Community Education is currently taking reservations for a single-day tour to the Getty Villa in Malibu, on Saturday, Sept. 1.
Perched on a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, the Getty Villa was reopened in 2006 as home to the Getty’s antiquities collection. Containing more than 1,200 Greek, Roman and Etruscan artifacts dating from 6500 B.C to A.D. 600, the Getty Villa is the only museum in the country dedicated solely to antiquities from the Mediterranean region.
The cost of the trip is $59 per person, with the chartered motor coach scheduled to depart from the COC Valencia campus promptly at 9:15 a.m. and return at approximately 5 p.m. that evening. Attendees will be responsible for providing their own lunch, with the Villa’s on-site café offering guests a variety of food and beverage options to choose from.
“We are very excited about this collaboration with Good Time Travel,” said Diane Stewart, dean, Community Education. “These single-day tours will provide wonderful opportunities for the residents of Santa Clarita to get out of town for the day, and explore some of the cultural treasures of the region.”
Additional single-day tours being offered by Community Education this fall include:
- L.A. Nostalgia -- 9:30 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. Friday, Oct. 5, $59 per person
- Be amazed by the treasures of yesteryear and receive a fascinating perspective on some of Los Angeles’ best-known and nostalgic landmarks, on this tour designed to showcase the city’s rich art, architecture and cultural history. The day will include visits inside the Biltmore Hotel, Union Station, Grand Central Market, the Bradbury Building (pending filming schedule), the Garment District, California Plaza and Olvera Street. Also included is a ride to the top of Bunker Hill, on the recently re-opened Angels Flight, regarded as the shortest railway in the world!
- The Magic Castle -- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 10, $119 per person
- Attendees will enjoy an all-you-can-eat champagne brunch and live magical performance inside the magnificent Hollywood, Victorian-style mansion known as The Magic Castle. Normally closed to the general public, The Magic Castle was originally built in 1908, but has yet to lose any of its original charm. Today, it’s considered by magicians all over the world to be the premier magic venue and virtual ‘center’ of the magician’s universe! Note: There is a required dress code for this event of “country club” attire (no jeans, shorts or sandals). Guests must also be able to walk up a steep driveway in order to enter the venue.
- Christmas at Castle Green -- 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 2, $69 per person
- Start the holiday season right with a trip to the historic Castle Green in Pasadena. Normally off limits to the public, for one afternoon each December the doors are opened so that visitors can view the creative interior design and cultural heritage of this architectural treasure all dressed up for the holidays! Built in 1898 as the second of three buildings making up the famous Hotel Green, the location went on to host a myriad of vacationing presidents, tycoons and celebrities in its heyday, and is now the private residence of several Pasadena area designers, musicians and artists. Even today, the Castle Green is considered to be one of Southern California’s most unique and beautiful buildings! During the trip attendees will be able to roam the Castle’s grounds and gardens through an all-encompassing self-guided tour, with docents available to share stories and answer questions. Opportunities to shop and dine in nearby Old Town Pasadena will also be included. Note: Walking shoes are suggested for this trip.
For all trips, passengers are encouraged to arrive on campus at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time. Return times are approximate.
Single-day parking permits and associated parking instructions will be sent to registered passengers prior to each tour. In addition, passengers should be aware that driver gratuities are not included in the tour price, but are highly encouraged.
For more information, or to register for an upcoming COC Community Education single-day tour please call (661) 362-3300 or visit www.canyons.communityext.net