Archival News Release
This News Release is outdated and posted here for archival purposes only.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 12, 2014
Canyon Country Campus to Host ‘Battle of the Bands’ May 18
The results are in! Seven bands have been selected to perform in the first-ever ‘Battle of the Bands’ competition scheduled to take place from noon to 5 p.m. Sunday, May 18 at the College of the Canyons Canyon Country campus.
Keyboard Galleria received entries from nearly 40 hopeful bands and musicians, ultimately choosing these seven finalists:
- Good Chum — Formed just four years ago in Santa Clarita, this four-member unit has already released one album, with another nearly complete. Songwriters Jesse Fletcher and Michael Castillo-Walsh joined with drummer Chris Wakelin and bassist Elliott Kuhn to create catchy, approachable tunes with surprising depth and force.
- Out of Ashes — This five-piece band hails from the Antelope Valley. They joined forces in 2010, and mix melodic vocals with metal riffs and heavy breakdowns to create a unique, crowd-pleasing sound.
- Brightside of Blue — This Santa Clarita-based band came together just last year with two sisters as its foundation. Joined by two friends, they perform original music, plus cover classic rock, punk, pop, country and modern rock favorites.
- Good Deeds — This four-piece band from Los Angeles is poised to release their first album, “The Good Tape – EP” this month. Zac “Ziggy” Garfinkel (vocals/guitar) Joey Bonfanti (drums/vocals), Russell Johnston (bass) and Petey Forest (guitar) blend a mix of rock, alternative, hip hop and blues to create their own sound.
- The Voxes — Based in the San Fernando Valley, the band formed last year with Brian Lopez (lead guitar), Javier Valenzuela (vocals), John Toledo (drums), Alec Pereda (bass), and Adrian Jardines (rhythm guitar). Their mellow, but upbeat, sound has earned them local gigs, and they released a self-titled demo late in 2013.
- The Murrows — Brothers Bryan and Evan Fradin formed The Murrows in 2012 with childhood friend Logan Cantrell, and later added guitarist Jason Spathopoulos. Their indie rock sound has steadily built a fan base in the greater Los Angeles area. In 2013 the band recorded and released their first singles, “Let You Down” and “New York City,” and plan to release their first EP soon.
- Randy Volin and the Hard Ones — Born and raised in Detroit, Randy Volin ventured west in 2011 and landed in L.A. An accomplished blues guitarist, Randy has played with and opened for such greats as Joe Cocker, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eddie Money, Koko Taylor, Junior Wells, Albert King, Lonnie Brooks, Cheap Trick, Steve Marriott, John Mellencamp, The Kinks and more.
‘Battle of the Bands’ is free and open to the public. It starts at noon with a classic car display, a new car display courtesy of Galpin Ford, and a variety of children’s activities. Food and refreshments will also be available for purchase from local restaurants.
Chef Cindy Schwanke, who heads up the College of the Canyons Institute for Culinary Education, will be on hand serving special desserts and highlighting the program’s new on-campus facility currently under construction in Valencia.
The bands will start competing at 1 p.m., with three experienced judges from the entertainment industry on hand to evaluate their performances: Grammy Award-winning producer David May, singer-songwriter and producer Andrea Standley, and actress Tracey Gold, who starred as Carol Seaver in ‘Growing Pains.’
The top three bands will receive cash and merchandise prizes from the College of the Canyons Associated Student Government, Keyboard Galleria, Remo Drums, KHTS AM 1220, Yamaha, D’Adarrio, SIT Strings, Dunlop, Ernie Ball and Zildjian.