ARCHIVED NEWS RELEASE
This News Release is outdated and posted here for archival purposes only.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 9, 2016
Trustees Association to Hold Board Candidate Orientation Session on June 13
With the filing period scheduled to open next month for candidates seeking a school or community college board seat, the Santa Clarita Valley School Board Trustees Association and Santa Clarita Community College District will host a School Board Candidate Orientation on Monday, June 13.
Seats on the both the Saugus Union School District Governing Board and the Santa Clarita Community College District Board of Trustees (which oversees College of the Canyons) will be up for election in November.
In an effort to help candidates better understand the election process and the role of board members, current trustees will present information about:
• The timeline and process for filing for candidacy with the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk.
• The Ralph M. Brown Act, which guarantees the public’s right to attend and participate in meetings of local legislative bodies.
• The role and responsibilities of school board members, and how they differ at the primary, secondary and community college levels.
• School district budgeting and board meeting agendas.
• The impact of the Civil Rights Voting Act on local elections.
A question-and-answer period will follow the presentations.
The orientation session is scheduled 7 p.m. Monday, June 13, at the Saugus Union School District Office, 24930 Ave. Stanford, Santa Clarita. Map
Candidates for board seats may file in July; a specific date is not yet determined on the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder’s website. For more information, visit www.lavote.net
, which is part of the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder’s website.
For more information on the School Board Candidate Orientation, call Sue Solomon at the Newhall School District at (661) 291-4000.