Archival News Advisory
This News Advisory is outdated and posted here for archival purposes only.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Release No. COC-09.24.15-BSAwelding-DM
September 24, 2015
Welding Technology Department Helps Local Scouts Earn Merit Badges
Subject: The College of the Canyons Welding Technology department and the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) Western Los Angeles County Council have partnered to offer local scouts the opportunity to earn their BSA Welding Merit Badge.
Event: College of the Canyons welding technology faculty and volunteer welding instructors will be on hand for an interactive morning of fun and instruction, designed to introduce participating scouts to the world of welding, while providing access to the tools, equipment, materials and training needed to earn the BSA’s Welding Merit Badge.
Attendees will have the opportunity to:
• Tour the college’s state-of-the-art welding and metal fabrication labs.
• Learn from welding faculty about welding safety, common welding processes, and the variety of exciting opportunities available to students interested in pursuing a career in welding.
• Use the college’s state-of–the-art welding equipment to weld their initials on a plate, weld a t-joint, weld square grooves and execute other welding processes.
• Meet all of the requirements necessary to earn the BSA Welding Merit Badge.
• Complete an individual Eagle Weld Project.
Time: 8 a.m. to noon Saturday, Sept. 26, 2015
Location: Welding Technology Lab, Towsley Hall, Room 128 (located on the south end of campus behind Bonelli Hall, adjacent to the Student Support Center).
Contact: Tim Baber, department chair, welding technology, (661) 362-3062
Note to Editors: Photo/video opportunities available.