Archival News Release
This News Release is outdated and posted here for archival purposes only.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Release No. COC-12.04.14-BOTofficers
December 4, 2014
College of the Canyons Board of Trustees Selects 2015 Officers
The Santa Clarita Community College District Board of Trustees, which oversees College of the Canyons, elected officers and set its meeting schedule for 2015 during its annual organizational meeting held Wednesday night.
Citing her consistent leadership during the past year, Bruce Fortine nominated Michele Jenkins to serve a second term as board president. The board approved her appointment.
“It has been an honor to lead the board during the past year, which has seen so many achievements by the college,” Jenkins said. “From celebrating our 45th anniversary of service to Santa Clarita, to undergoing an evaluation of our accreditation, to ranking in the top five colleges in the state for our student completion rate, I am proud of what we have accomplished to the benefit of our students and community.”
Jenkins has served as a board member for 30 years, but her connection to the college dates back to the beginning. She was a student at College of the Canyons when it opened for its first semester in fall 1969. Jenkins is proud of her community college service and grateful to all of the faculty members who so positively impacted her life as a first-generation college student.
“It’s amazing to see how we’ve transformed into a cutting-edge institution of higher education that has become the college of choice for so many students in our community,” Jenkins said. “In the coming year, I look forward to building on our reputation for innovation and excellence and seeing the college continue its growth and development,” Jenkins said.
College of the Canyons Chancellor Dr. Dianne Van Hook expressed her appreciation for Jenkins’s example of service on the Board of Trustees, and her focus on serving students.
“Michele is a person of integrity; she understands the importance of flexibility, responsiveness and follow through; she focuses on what is best for students,” Van Hook said. “She makes the time to celebrate their successes. Whether it is an athletic contest, student academic competitions, or Associated Student Government events, she is consistently engaged with our students.”
Jenkins also volunteers her time to provide leadership to community colleges statewide. She served on the board of the directors for the California Community College Trustees Board of Directors for 11 years, including a year as board president. She also served as president for the Community College League of California Board of Directors. Through other appointments, she also has helped to create professional development opportunities for community college trustees throughout the state, and served as a role model for others.
“College of the Canyons is fortunate to have an alumnae who is recognized as a person of character and commitment as its board president,” Van Hook said. “These are exciting times for higher education and the opportunities are only limited by the perspective one brings to the effort. Michele’s practical, positive and persistent style inspires others to pursue possibilities.”
At its Wednesday meeting the board also selected other 2015 officers as follows: Bruce Fortine was chosen to serve a second consecutive term as vice president, and Steve Zimmer will serve another year as the board’s clerk.
The approved 2015 Board of Trustees meeting dates are:
- January 21 — Business Meeting
- February 11 — Business Meeting
- February 25 — Business Meeting
- March 11 — Business Meeting (held at the Canyon Country Campus)
- March 25 — Joint Meeting with Associated Student Government (ASG)
- April 8 — Business Meeting
- April 22 — Potential Joint Meeting with another community organization, pending availability
- May 13 — Business Meeting
- May 27 — Joint Meeting with COC Foundation Board of Directors
- June 10 — Business Meeting
- June 24 — Business Meeting and Tentative Budget Workshop
- July 8 — Business Meeting
- August 12 — Business Meeting
- August 26 — Business Meeting
- September 9 — Business Meeting and Adopted Budget Workshop
- September 23 — Potential Joint Meeting with another community organization, pending availability
- October 14 — Business Meeting
- October 28 — Joint Meeting with ASG Officers (held at the Canyon Country Campus)
- November 12 — Business Meeting
- December 2 — Organizational and Business Meeting
The board meets at the Valencia Campus in Hasley Hall, Room 137, unless otherwise noted. Open-session meetings typically begin at 5 p.m. Agendas and minutes are available at the link below.