Archival News Release
This is an outdated document posted for archival purposes. Click here for current releases.
News Release Index
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 16, 2012
Annual ‘Meet the Grant Makers’ Event Returns June 8
The College of the Canyons Office of Grants Development will host its eighth annual "Meet the Grant Makers" panel presentation and seminar event on Friday, June 8, offering Santa Clarita Valley’s non-profits an opportunity to learn how to improve their fundraising efforts and see their organizations thrive.
With the participation of representatives from both The Ahmanson Foundation and Annenberg Foundation, this year’s event will be focused on helping attendees: engage in dialogue with potential donors about their foundation’s major priorities and goals; understand how to make their grant applications stand out; learn how to build meaningful relationships with foundation representatives; network and form partnerships with other non-profit professionals; and successfully secure grants and other forms of aid.
In particular, the panel presentation will be focused on current giving priorities amidst the ongoing economic climate, as well as both targeted and precise grant requests. Panel speakers are scheduled to include:
- William H. Ahmanson, President, The Ahmanson Foundation
- Foundation priorities: Arts and humanities, education, health care, homelessness and human services.
- Professional background: Responsible for the oversight of The Ahmanson Foundation’s many grantmaking activities. Prior to joining the Foundation Mr. Ahmanson enjoyed a career in the banking industry, and also serves on several major foundation boards including the Center Theatre Group, Los Angeles County Museum of Modern Art (LACMA) and Marlborough School in Los Angeles.
- Sylia Obagi, Director of Operations, Annenberg Foundation
- Foundation priorities: Arts and humanities, animal welfare, civic and community, education, environment, human health and wellness, military veterans.
- Professional background: Responsible for the oversight of the Annenberg Foundation’s Los Angeles program, its staff and all strategic grantmaking decisions. Prior to joining the Annenberg Foundation, Ms. Obagi served as Vice President of The Community College Foundation.
In addition, the program will provide attendees with the opportunity to network with other non-profit organizations to create partnerships and explore the possibility of future collaboration projects. Representatives from more than 30 local non-profit organizations are expected to be in attendance.
“We invite every non-profit organization staff member in the region to attend the Meet the Grant Makers program,” said Elana Helgesen, a grant writer at the college. “Having this type of direct access to a major foundation representative, with the ability to ask questions and share ideas on the spot, will be an extremely beneficial experience for you and your organization.”
"Meet the Grant Makers" will take place from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Friday, June 8, in the Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 258, located on the Valencia campus.
Admission to the event and parking in the University Center lot are both complimentary, however attendees are asked to RSVP in advance in order to receive a free parking pass. Attendees that do not register in advance will need to purchase a one-day parking pass for $2 from one the lot’s automated kiosks.
For more information, call (661) 362-5871 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. To RSVP for this event, visit www.canyons.edu/GrantMakers.
College of the Canyons
Valencia campus: 26455 Rockwell Canyon Road, Santa Clarita, CA 91355 • (661) 259-7800
Canyon Country campus: 17200 Sierra Highway, Canyon Country, CA 91351 • (661) 362-3800
Copyright © 2001-12 by College of the Canyons. All rights reserved.