Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. What is Service-Learning?
Service-learning is a teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility, and strengthen communities.
2. Can anyone sign up for Service-Learning?
Service Learning must be offered to you through a class you are enrolled in.
3. How do I sign up for Service-Learning?
You must attend an orientation or schedule an appointment with a Service-Learning staff member. During orientation, each step of the process is explained and this is where you will learn how to get started on a project.
4. Can I complete a Service Learning project for more than one class?
Yes, you will need to complete an online registration form for each class in which you plan to do a Service-Learning project. You can access the online registration form during the orientation or on our website.
5. Once I've signed up, how long does it take to complete a Service-Learning project?
That depends on a few things: when you get started, how motivated you are, and the number of hours your project requires. If you take the orientation the first week they are offered, obviously you will have the maximum amount of time in the semester to complete your project. But if you wait until the placement form is due, you will have only 7 weeks to complete your project.
6. Where do I find the hour requirement for my project?
The parameters of your Service-Learning project are set by your instructor; he/she decides which organizations your class will work with, how many hours you must do and how your Service-Learning project will "count" towards your grade in the course. Check your syllabus or contact your instructor for more information about your class's parameters including hours required.
7. If I am completing 2 projects, do I have to complete the hour requirement for each class?
Yes, for example, if you have a 15 hour requirement for an English class and a 20 hour requirement for a biology class, you must complete a total of 35 hours to receive full credit for each of your projects.
8. Can I use the same agency for 2 projects?
Yes, as long as the agency is approved by your instructors.
9. What if I get sick and can't make it to my agency?
It is your responsibility to contact the agency as soon as possible to let them know you will not be in due to your illness.
10. What if I can't complete my project?
It is your responsibility to let the agency know you will no longer be able to continue working with them. Remember, our non-profit agencies depend on volunteers to help them operate and provide services to the community, so please let them know as soon as possible so they can fill your spot with another volunteer.
11. How do I know when everything is due?
The due dates are listed on our website.
12. What if I can't find an agency to work with?
Please let the Service-Learning staff know if you need help with finding an agency.
13. What if I already volunteer with an agency that is not on the Service-Learning list of agencies, can I complete my project with them?
No, because each agency we offer to our students has signed a partnership contract with the college. A list of acceptable agencies can be found on the Service-Learning website.
14. Can I choose any agency to work with as long as it is on the Service-Learning list?
Your instructor has selected a list of relevant agencies for you to complete your project; however, your instructor may approve an agency that is not included on his/her list, but is on our complete list of agencies. Check with your instructor to see if he/she will accept the agency you've selected.
15. What if I can't get in touch with an agency?
If you are having difficulties contacting an agency, please stop by the Service-Learning office (STCN-111) and we will assist you with contacting them. Remember, agencies may take a few days to get back to you. We suggest you follow up with a call or an email 3-4 days after you have made your first contact. Don't let more than 2 weeks go by before you make another attempt to contact; you have a limited amount of time to complete your project and procrastination is not an excuse.
16. What if I have a problem with my agency?
Please contact us immediately at (661) 362-3231. The relationships between students and agencies are very important to us.
17. What if I forget to turn in a form on the due date?
Please contact the Service-Learning office to discuss your options.
18. What if my agency can't give me the amount of hours I need to complete my project?
With permission from your instructor, you can complete your hours with more than one agency or you can look for another agency that offers more hours.
19. Can I choose more than one agency to work with?
The parameters for Service-Learning projects are set up by the instructors. Please check with your instructor if you'd like to work with more than 1 agency.
20. Can I continue to work with my agency after I have completed my project?
Absolutely, once you've completed your Service-Learning project, you may want to return to the agency as a volunteer.
21. Can I choose to participate in Service-Learning in the middle of a semester?
There are several deadlines to be met for Service-Learning students before mid-semester. Your successful participation depends on meeting these deadlines. If you have more concerns regarding participation, please stop by the Service-Learning office (STCN-111).
22. Where do I turn in my forms for my Service-Learning project?
The Service-Learning office located in the Student Center, room 111 (Valencia Campus)
The Canyon Country Campus Switchboard Operator - Quad 5, room 502A