Prerequisites and Corequisites
Many of our courses require the completion of prerequisites. If you are currently enrolled in a course at College of the Canyons that is used as a prerequisite for another course, our policy allows you to enroll in the next course while it is in progress. You will be allowed to stay enrolled in the course as long as you complete the prerequisite course with a satisfactory grade. "Satisfactory grade" means the grade earned must be a C or CR (P) or better; D, F, FW, or NC (NP) grades are not acceptable. (All prerequisites must be completed with a satisfactory grade.) If you do not meet the minimum grade requirement, you will be dropped from the more advanced course for not meeting the prerequisite. The drop may occur after the term has begun and may impact your ability to enroll in another course.
Prerequisite: A condition of enrollment, typically a course or placement score that a student is required to meet before being allowed to enroll in a more advanced course or educational program.
Corequisite: A condition of enrollment where two courses are offered and connected to each other and the student is required to enroll in both of them at the same time.
Strongly Recommended: A course that students are strongly advised, but not required, to enroll in to strengthen their subject skills.
Prerequisite/Corequisite Challenge Process
Students who wish to challenge the prerequisite or corequisite of a course they want to enroll in must file a Prerequisite/Corequisite Challenge Petition form with Admissions & Records. This form is NOT available online and must be completed and submitted in person in the Admissions & Records Office.
A prerequisite may be challenged for the following reasons:
- The prerequisite has not been made reasonably available;
- The prerequisite was established in violation of regulation or in violation of District approved processes;
- The prerequisite is discriminatory or applied in a discriminatory manner; and/or
- You have knowledge or ability to succeed in the course despite not meeting the prerequisite.
In each case, the student must provide documentation to support the challenge. Examples of documentation are transcripts, copies of certificates, proof of knowledge of the required material, etc.
The procedure for prerequisite/corequisite challenge petitions is as follows:
- Fill out and submit a Prerequisite/Corequisite Challenge Petition form in person in the Admissions & Records Office. If the class is full/closed, an add form with the instructor's signature and first date of attendance must be attached.
- Admissions & Records will enroll you in the class and you will continue to attend the class pending approval or denial of the petition. Payment is due at the time of registration or you will be dropped for non-payment.
- The petition will be forwarded by Admissions & Records to the appropriate division for review.
- Once the petition is returned, Admissions & Records will send a confirmation email to your COC student email with the petition decision.
- If the petition is approved, you will be permitted to stay enrolled in the class.
- If the petition is denied, you will be dropped from the class and a refund of class fees will be sent to you.
Students are advised to consult the course descriptions found in the current college catalog
or through the Search for Sections function via My Canyons
for more information on prerequisites or co-requisites.