Student Art Collection – Mission Statement
To promote student excellence in the visual arts at College of the Canyons while enriching the environment in District facilities.
The College of the Canyons Student Art Collection team endeavors to create an ongoing program which would allow the Santa Clarita Community College District students to submit their artworks for competition to be included in a district art collection. The chosen artworks would become part of the Santa Clarita Community College Districts’ permanent art collection, and thereafter, displayed at the Valencia Campus, Canyon Country campus and future district facilities.
Student success and growth is achieved by the practical, real-life experience of submitting their artwork for award consideration and possible inclusion in the district art collection.
- Students are awarded a monetary prize and certificate of accomplishment that will:
- Instill a sense of value to their work.
- Encourage participation in this process.
- May be used as a transcript/resume entry.
- To create goodwill between students, college community and the community at large by acquiring art for the district with the intent of building a historical collection over time.
- Enhance district facilities while developing a sense of place and connection to the college.
- Ultimately display the student art collection in all district facilities.