counseling.png       FAQ.png       calendar_icon4.jpg    Resoureces.jpg      facebook1.png  forms.png ​

How to Join

In order to join to CalWORKs program at College of the Canyons, you must be referred to us from the county. You must qualify for the county's CalWORKs program and have appropriate paperwork from your GAIN worker. You will need to have the appropriate Training Verification (GN 6005A or the GN 6006/1 and the Vocational Assessment: GN6013 and GN 6014. In order to be eligible, you must be receiving cash aid for both yourself and your child, not your child alone.

The CalWORKs program requires proof of your eligibility from your eligibility worker (EW2). You may have them complete this form. TANF-CalWORKs Status Verification.docx

Once you have the appropriate paperwork and have applied to College of the Canyons and to Financial Aid (especially for the BOG Fee Waiver), you may call our office at (661) 362-3271 for an intake appointment.

CalWORKs students should go to the CalWORKs Office in Student Support Center to fill out an Intake Form which helps us:

  • To stay current with addresses, telephone numbers and other pertinent data.
  • To determine whether or not the student is receiving GAIN supportive services. This information enables us to know the types of services students will require from the CalWORKS office at COC.
  • To determine how many units student is taking.
  • To determine whether or not the student is enrolled in a vocational program.To determine the student's class, lab and work schedules.
  • To determine student's needs for transportation, childcare, text books, school supplies and other ancillary services.
  • To determine the student's possible barriers that might be in the way of academic success and personal goals.
  • To schedule an educational plan or educational plan update at the beginning of the student’s time in the program and thereby enable more informed achievement of educational goals.

Intake Forms must be completed each semester and accompanied by:

  • A copy of Student ID
  • A copy of Class Schedule
  • Completed CalWORKs Status Verification
  • A copy of the most current Cash Aid Notice of Action or Verification of Benefits
  • A copy of the GAIN Contract if available and/or if applicable