ESL 060 STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOME CURRENT
060 Reading, Writing and Grammar for Non-native Speakers – III
Skim, scan, and analyze low-intermediate primary source documents for key and supporting information.
Respond to who, what, where, when, how and why questions orally and in writing.
Provide examples from the texts to support his/her ideas.
Write short personal paragraphs using an introductory statement and correct sentences.
NEW – FALL 2010
ESL 060 COLLEGE WRITING AND GRAMMAR I
With 80% Accuracy:
Communicate in college-appropriate written English at the Intermediate Level.
Respond to comprehension and analysis tasks of college-style readings at the Intermediate-High Level.
1. Read college materials and identify relevant information
2. Read a variety of short stories and identify key components of the texts
3. Skim, scan, and analyze level-appropriate primary source documents for key and supporting information
4. Find information that requires drawing from different sections of a reading passage.
5. Draw meaning from passages by using syntactic clues, such as pronoun references.
6. Determine the meaning of unfamiliar vocabulary and phrases from context.
7. Respond accurately to questions by giving examples, describing, predicting, and inferring from the text.
Compose personal paragraphs using accurate and appropriate grammar at the intermediate level.
Compose personal paragraphs using topic sentence and concluding statement.
Compose personal paragraphs using chronological order.
Write short personal emails to a college-specific audience.
Fill out college forms.
Use learned grammatical structures accurately in exercises and then in expansion activities. Identify individual grammatical mistakes and correct them.