Measure M Fiscal Accountability
Home l Meetings, Agendas & Minutes l Quick Facts l Audits l Members l Contact Us
Who decides how bond money is spent?
At College of the Canyons, all general obligation bond funds remain under the control of the Santa Clarita Community College District Board of Trustees.
Who approves construction contracts?
All construction contracts, including any change orders, must be approved by the Board of Trustees in accordance with the California Education Code and Public Contract Code.
Are projects sent out to bid? Who oversees and approves those bids?
The Board of Trustees examines all submitted construction bids, and final bids cannot be awarded without board approval. As part of the district's construction-management system, the district bids each part of every project separately so there is oversight of each portion of every project.
Is there an Oversight Committee for Measure M? What does it do?
The Measure M Citizens Oversight Committee was formed in early 2007, after voters approved Measure M in November 2006. It meets regularly in open session to review expenditures and ensure that they fall within the resolution authorized by voters. The books are open, and all meeting agendas and minutes are posted online for public review.
Who serves on the Oversight Committee?
When the Board of Trustees appointed the Measure M Citizens Oversight Committee, it accepted all 12 people who applied, although the law required only seven. The original committee included:
- Michael Berger -- Senior vice president, Smith Barney; College of the Canyons Foundation; involved with numerous community organizations including the City of Santa Clarita Planning Commission; former Santa Clarita Man of the Year.
- Robert E. Drescher -- 17-year member of the community, served as judge pro tem for the past three years; College of the Canyons Foundation.
- Rita Garasi -- Community volunteer, thirty-three years in the community; College of the Canyons Foundation; Canyon Country Advisory Committee; chair of Measure M bond campaign; former Santa Clarita Woman of the Year; previous service on Measure C Citizens Oversight Committee; expertise in communication.
- Jill Harper -- Community volunteer; College of the Canyons advisory committees; former member of Measure C Citizens Oversight Committee; involvement with Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce, American Cancer Society and SCV Senior Center.
- Calvin Hedman -- Hedman & Associates, CPAs; bona fide taxpayers’ association; community volunteer; 28-year member of the community; Board of Directors, Valley Industrial Association; member community business organization; served as treasurer for the “Yes on Measure C” campaign; served on the Measure C Citizens Oversight Committee.
- Michael Hildebrand -- Financial analyst, Medtronic: MiniMed; accounting and finance expertise; member community business organization; affiliation with CSUN University Student Union, member board of directors.
- Brian E. Koegle -- Poole & Shaffery LLP, attorneys; community volunteer; member community business organization; 23-year resident of community; active in numerous local community and business organizations; VP marketing for SCV Jaycees 2006, current director of governmental affairs.
- Jonathan Kraut -- Member community business organization; member of SCV Chamber of Commerce; Santa Clarita Human Relations Forum; community volunteer; private investigator; experience in education.
- Mike Lebecki -- Real estate partnership; member community business organization; community volunteer; nearly 20 years in community; SCV Chamber of Commerce; YMCA; HMNMH Health Foundation; numerous other organizations; member of Measure C Citizens Oversight Committee.
- Linn G. Melvin Jr. -- Parent of COC student; AOC graduate; degree in business, architecture minor; president, CSEA, Sulphur Springs School District.
- Tim Shaner -- The Capital Consultants, estate and retirement planning; member community business organization; experience in budget and finance; 18-year resident; many local organizations, SCV Chamber of Commerce; SCV Transportation Committee.
- Leon Strand -- Reverend, Friendly Valley Community United Methodist Church; senior citizens’ organization; College of the Canyons advisory committee; Canyon Country Site Selection Committee; Canyon Country Campus Advisory Committee.
The committee's membership is subject to change. The most up-to-date membership can be viewed here.
College of the Canyons
Valencia campus: 26455 Rockwell Canyon Road, Santa Clarita, CA 91355 • (661) 259-7800
Canyon Country campus: 17200 Sierra Highway, Canyon Country, CA 91351 • (661) 362-3800
Copyright © 2001-13 by College of the Canyons. All rights reserved.