Some courses offered by the college require the completion of a prerequisite. A prerequisite is a course, or assessment process, that must be satisfactorily completed before the student can enroll in a more difficult course. Prerequisites can only be established when it has been proven that students who complete the prerequisite material are more successful in the next course than those who don’t. Prerequisites are listed in the catalogue and the class schedule along with the minimum grade or level required to meet the requirement. Prerequisite courses typically require a “C” or better to move to the next level. Prerequisites based on assessment scores require placements at a specific level.
Students who feel that they have already mastered the prerequisite material, by some means other than a class or assessment, may petition to waive the prerequisite and enroll in the higher level course.
“Prerequisite challenge” petitions can be found at the Admission and Records counter in the Admissions building. A prerequisite may be challenged for the following reasons:
- The prerequisite has not been made reasonably available;
prerequisite was established in violation of regulation, or in violation of District approved processes;
prerequisite is discriminatory or applied in a discriminatory manner; and/or
have knowledge or ability to succeed in the course despite not meeting the prerequisite.
In each case the student must provide documentation to support the challenge.
The Prerequisite Challenge Process
- Gather evidence that proves that you have the skills necessary to do well in the more advanced course without the prerequisite. Examples might include: transcripts that show completion of honors or advanced placement courses in a relevant discipline, a letter from a previous instructor outlining the course objectives that you met while in his/her course, or a syllabus detailing the objectives of an outside course from work or vocational training, along with your verified grade in the course.
- Check the schedule for the section number of the course you want to enroll in
- Complete the prerequisite challenge form, listing the section number you would like and attaching the evidence you have gathered. (Note: the petition will not be accepted without written evidence) On the petition, describe how you have mastered the material and objectives that are in the prerequisite and why you should be allowed to enroll in a more advanced class.
- Hand the completed form to the Admissions counter staff. They will forward it for review to a division dean. While waiting for a response, the Admissions staff will enroll you in your chosen section.
- It should take no longer than five days for the dean to review your request. If it is approved then you can stay enrolled in the section you have chosen. If the request is denied, the Admissions staff will delete your enrollment in the section.