This application is for professional development activities not already on the
Flex schedule. You must submit this application to request flex credit for an
activity prior to the activity taking place.
- Applications for conferences and off-campus training must be
submitted at least five days before the activity.
- Applications for independent flex projects must be submitted
by the Friday of the sixth week of the semester.
- Applications for independent flex projects to be completed
during the summer should be submitted by
May 15. (Summer is
defined as the day after graduation through Opening Day).
In order to be approved, the activity must meet all of the following
- The primary goal of the activity must be professional growth
and achievement of the mission of the college, its vision, and
the mission of professional development in staff improvement,
student improvement, or instructional improvement.
- Accomplishment of the activity must be of sufficient benefit
to justify the time spent.
- The activity must be designed to foster an analytical or
reflective approach to professional development.
- You must not be compensated in any other way for this
- The majority of the event must not be recreational or
- The activity must fall outside expected departmental and
other contractual faculty duties.
Check one of the following:
This is an application for flex credit for attending a conference. Answer
questions one and two below (only). Flex credit for attending conferences is
limited to 20.5 hours a year.
This is an application for flex credit for attending off-campus training
conducted by a non-COC training provider. Answer questions one and two below
This is an application for flex credit for completing an independent flex
project, which is a professional development activity that is conceived and
executed by a faculty person independently of any training provider or
organization. Answer all questions below. Also, submit the final project to the
Professional Development Director by June 30th. The final project must include
the measurable product, which will be posted on the Professional Development
website. Flex credit for an independent flex project is limited to 20.5 hours a
I am requesting
Please be as thorough as possible. If vague information is provided, a
response to your application may be delayed.
1. If this is a
conference or off-campus training, when will it take place?
*Are you scheduled to teach on any of these
dates? Yes No
If yes, which dates?
*Please note that you cannot earn FLEX credit during the hours you are
scheduled to teach, hold office hours, or engage in other professional
2.Provide a brief description of the activity:
Please enter the website link to the conference or off-campus training here.
4. State the learning outcomes for the activity, explain how
you will meet them, and how this activity contributes to your own
5. Describe the measurable product that will result from the independent
flex project and provide a timetable with benchmarks for completion of the
6. Describe how you will disseminate and share (as appropriate) the product
of your independent flex project with your colleagues so as to support the
mission of the college. Consult the Professional Development Director if you
need advice about the most appropriate way to do this.