News Release Archive
News Release Home
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 23, 2009
Theatre Department Announces Spring Auditions
The College of the Canyons Theatre Department will hold open auditions for students and community members interested in participating in the department’s theatrical productions of “A Doll’s House,” “Noises Off” and other featured selections from the college’s annual New Works Festival.
Preliminary auditions for all productions will be held from 6:45 to 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 10 and Wednesday, Feb. 11 in the Performing Arts Center’s Black Box Theatre, located on the Valencia campus.
Participants should plan to attend only one of the audition times, with actors expected to arrive at 6:30 p.m. to complete paperwork and sign up for an audition time slot.
Actors are asked to prepare a 1- to 3-minute modern or contemporary monologue for the audition, or two contrasting modern or contemporary monologues (comedic/dramatic). Monologues may total no more than 3 minutes, with time limits strictly observed. Actors are advised to select and edit their monologues to fit within the time limit.
However, actors without prepared monologues are still encouraged to audition, as pieces will be made available to them at the audition reading.
Callback auditions for those selected will be held from 7 to 9:30 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 12, in the Black Box Theatre and/or adjoining classrooms in Pico Hall. Actors given roles in any of the productions are expected to enroll in the Theatre 190: Theatre Production class in the spring semester.
Available roles for “A Doll’s House” include:
• Nora Helmer -- Wife of Torvald, mother of three, living out the ideal of the 19th century wife.
• Torvald Helmer -- Nora's husband, a newly promoted banker, suffocates but professes to be enamored of his wife.
• Dr. Rank -- Rich family friend, who is secretly in love with Nora.
• Christine Linde -- Nora's old school friend, widowed, seeking employment
• Nils Krogstad -- Employee at Torvald's bank, single father, pushed to desperation.
Rehearsals for “A Doll’s House” will run from 7 to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 2 to 5 p.m. on Saturdays from Feb. 16 through April 1. The production will run April 2 to 5.
Available roles for “Noises Off” include:
• Lloyd -- The director of the play, "Nothing On," temperamental.
• Dotty -- A late middle-aged actress, forgetful, enjoys drinking.
• Garry -- A stuttering actor, easily fired up, repeatedly tries to attack Fred after believing that Dotty was cheating on him with Fred.
• Fred -- An actor with a serious fear of violence and blood.
• Belinda -- Cheerful and sensible, a reliable actress.
• Poppy -- Assistant stage manager, emotional and oversensitive, jealous of Brooke whom she understudies.
• Selsdon -- An elderly alcoholic man who hides his bottles onstage. If he is not in sight while rehearsing the stage crew must find him before he passes out.
• Tim -- Stage Manager, understudies Selsdon and Freddy.
• Brooke -- A young inexperienced actress from London.
Rehearsals for “Noises Off” will run from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, with occasional Saturday rehearsals from 1 to 3:30 p.m. from March 9 through May 6. The production will run May 7 to 10.
Available parts from plays selected for the College of the Canyons New Works Festival include a number of male and female roles for actors ages 18 to 60. New Works Festival productions will run from May 13 to 18.
For more information about any of the theatre department’s upcoming productions please visit http://www.canyons.edu/departments/theatre/upcoming.htm.
For more information about auditions for the New Works Festival please contact David Stears at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about auditions for “Noises Off” please contact Paul Wickline at (661) 362-3152 or email@example.com.
For more information about auditions for “A Doll’s House” please contact Susan Hinshaw at (661) 362-3991 or firstname.lastname@example.org.