Archival News Release
This is an outdated document posted here for archival purposes. Click "News Releases" at left for current releases.
News Release Index
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 21, 2012
New Fitness Walk, Seminar Series Launches on March 2
This spring, the College of the Canyons SNAC (Student Nutrition Advocates at COC) group is encouraging students and community members to experience the many benefits of leading a healthy lifestyle, with the launch of its new Body, Mind, Wellness (BMW) Fitness Walk and Seminar Series.
Coinciding with national nutrition month, the spring semester BMW Fitness Walk and Seminar Series will include two community-wide educational fitness walks through the college’s new on-campus Gardens of the Canyons areas, along with four scheduled seminar discussions taking place throughout March and April.
The goal of the BMW Fitness Walk and Seminar Series is to provide participants with information about the various lifestyle behaviors that promote health, happiness, and optimal performance in all aspects of their life -- school, sport and work included!
“We want to use this year’s BMW Fitness Walk and Seminar Series to facilitate a greater sense of collaboration within the community, in terms of personal health and wellness,” said Sheri Barke, COC sports and wellness dietitian and SNAC group advisor. “Hopefully these events will also help raise awareness about the college’s garden areas, so that other community groups and organizations can begin utilizing these valuable resources.”
As the main event in the spring BMW series, the college will host a community-wide educational fitness walk from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday, March 8, on the COC Valencia campus.
Beginning at the main check-in station located in front of the campus’ Student Center, the roughly 1.5-mile fitness walk will allow participants to walk through the Valencia campus, at their own pace, while making stops at six educational stations along the route.
At each station, participants will be asked to check in and complete a short wellness activity. Those who complete the walk, along with all associated activities, will be awarded a special prize at the conclusion of the event.
Additional spring semester BMW Fitness Walk and Seminar Series events are scheduled as follows:
- Sports Nutrition Seminar
- 10 to 11 a.m. Friday, March 2
- Boykin Hall, Room 105
- Sheri Barke, COC sports and wellness dietitian and SNAC group advisor, will teach attendees how to fuel their bodies for optimal exercise training, performance and recovery.
- Sustainable & Healthy Eating Seminar
- 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. Thursday, March 15
- Boykin Hall, Room 105
- Presenters McKenzie Hall, RD and Lisa Dixon, RD, co-founders of the nutrition communications company NourishRds, will share practical tips (and delicious samples) about how to incorporate more wholesome foods into your diet. The presentation will be followed by a brief tour of the planned site of the college’s Community Garden area.
- Meditation for Health & Happiness
- 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. Thursday, March 22
- Meditation Garden (located near East PE building, behind the tennis courts)
- Presenters Tammy Bathke, COC nursing program assistant director; Darlene Mininni, author of “The Emotional Toolkit: Seven Power-Skills to Nail Your Bad Feelings”; and Garrett Hooper, COC academic counselor will explore the science and practice of meditation to enhance one’s physical and emotional health, and performances associated with school, work and sports. The presentation will be accompanied by a meditation and stress management resource fair from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on the day of the event, with local businesses on hand to offer their services to attendees.
- Canyon Country Campus, Educational Fitness Walk #2
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday, April 12
- Canyon Country Campus (on-campus check in location TBD)
- The roughly 1.5-mile fitness walk will allow participants to walk through the Canyon Country campus, at their own pace, while making stops at four educational stations along the route.
- Fitness Myths & Truths Seminar
- 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. Thursday, April 19
- Boykin Hall, Room 105
- COC strength and conditioning coach Robert dos Remedios will teach attendees the finer points of creating a personalized fitness program that will work for them.
All of the BMW Fitness Walk and Seminar Series events and activities are free and open to the public.
For more information about the spring semester BMW Fitness Walk and Seminar Series and the lineup of scheduled events please visit www.canyons.edu/offices/Health/NutritionCoach/SNAC/events.asp or follow the COC SNAC group on Facebook at College of the Canyons SNAC.