News Release Archive
News Releases Index
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 27, 2008
Graduating Class Largest in College History
Dressed identically in black gowns and mortarboards, the College of the Canyons students who will make their way through the Honor Grove for their diploma on May 30 will be part of the largest graduating class in the college’s history.
With 1,255 students, the number of graduates has grown 9.4 percent since 2007.
“It’s amazing to see how much we have grown these past few years,” said Sue Bozman, vice-president of marketing and external relations.
Some other interesting facts about the Class of 2008 are:
- 60.9 percent of the graduates are women. 39.1 percent of them are men.
- 42 majors are represented. The leading major is transfer studies, followed by nursing.
- 457 ethnic minorities are part of the graduating class.
- The average age of a graduate is 25 years old.
- The youngest graduate is 16 years old. The oldest is 61 years old.
- 16 students will be graduating with 4.0 GPA’s.
- 211 students will graduate with honors.
- 34 graduates are International Students from a wide variety of countries including: Cameroon, Canada, China, Columbia, Ecuador, France, Germany, India, Japan, Macedonia, Mexico Pakistan, Peru, Romania, Russia, South Korea and the United Kingdom.
- The average class GPA is 2.98.
The College of the Canyons graduation ceremony will be at 10:30 a.m.
Valedictorians Maureen Jordan, Melody Akhtari and Manuela Marino were selected to speak at the ceremony.
Guests should arrive by 10:15 a.m.
College of the Canyons
Valencia campus: 26455 Rockwell Canyon Road, Santa Clarita, CA 91355 • (661) 259-7800
Canyon Country campus: 17200 Sierra Highway, Canyon Country, CA 91351 • (661) 476-3800
Copyright © 2001-09 by College of the Canyons. All rights reserved.