Archival News Release
This is an outdated document posted here for archival purposes. Click "News Releases" at left for current releases.
News Release Index
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
No. 06-03-09 Commencement.2009.JMc
June 3, 2009
College to Hold Commencement Ceremony on June 5
The College of the Canyons class of 2009 will celebrate commencement at 9:30 am Friday, June 5 in a beautiful outdoor setting on the Valencia campus.
The scene of many graduations and other college ceremonies and events, the college’s Honor Grove is located in the center of the campus and will be outfitted with a stage for the presentation of diplomas and certificates as well as seating for the graduates and the proud families and friends who are sure to be in attendance.
Some interesting facts about the Class of 2009 are:
• Number of graduates: 1,096.
• Numbers of majors represented: 43.
• Number of female graduates: 708 (65%)
• Number of male graduates: 388 (35%)
• Average age of the graduates: 26 years old.
• 466 ethnic minorities are part of the graduating class.
• The youngest graduate is 16 years old (we actually have two 16-year-olds).
• The eldest graduate is 71 years old.
• 12 students will be graduating with 4.0 GPAs.
• 190 students will graduate with honors.
• 28 graduates are International Students from a wide variety of countries including: Belgium, Canada, Colombia, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Romania, Russia, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.
• The average class GPA is 3.03.
• Graduates who are Armed Forces Veterans: 24.
• Students who completed their degrees at the Canyon Country Campus combining on-ground and online classes: 2
• Graduates who took some of their classes at the Canyon Country campus: 523
• Leading Majors:
- Transfer Studies: 399 graduates
- Nursing: 156 graduates
- Biological & Phys. Science: 79 graduates
- Accounting: 63 graduates
- Social Science: 48 graduates
- Business: 36 graduates
- Admin of Justice: 33 graduates
- English: 29 graduates
- General Education: 31 graduates
- Early Childhood Education: 29 graduates
- Fire Technology: 21 graduates
- History: 20 graduates
- Mathematics: 15 graduates
- Guests should arrive by 9:15 a.m.