FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 15, 2006
Student Newspaper Staff Win 22 Journalism Awards
College of the Canyons student journalists garnered 22 awards at a journalism conference on Nov. 3 and 4, where more than 30 Southern California community colleges were represented.
The 12 COC delegates at the conference were writers, editors and photographers for the college's newspaper "The Canyon Call."
The Journalism Association of Community Colleges conference awarded Lisette Wagner with the first place news photo and an honorable mention for sports photo.
"Since it was my first time, I was really nervous," admitted Wagner. "I was shocked when I won."
Jesse Knight won first place for his news story about Louis Amestoy, assistant managing editor for interactive media at "The Sun" in San Bernardino and the "Inland Valley Daily Bulletin" in Ontario.
"I'm very pleased with the results," said Jim Ruebsamen, journalism department chair and lead adviser for the "Canyon Call," "especially when I see the students won in so many different categories-writing, photography, art and design. I was particularly happy to see us win first place in both news writing and news photography."
Additional awards included:
- Second place: Brian Jeppeson, page design
- Third place: Mark Yanni, page design
- Honorable mention: Brian Jeppeson, broadcast news writing; Brad Wilcox, feature story; Matt Ehresman, sports story
- First place: Tony Pettit, line illustration
- Second place: Brandon Jennings, photo story; Rory Aronsky, news feature
- Third place: Elina Faskhutdinova, photo story; Craig Leener, column writing
- Honorable mention: "Canyon Call" staff, front page layout (tabloid); Elina Faskhutdinova, inside page layout; Tony Pettit, line illustration; Karen Brady, feature photo; Ryan Cleveland, news photo; Elina Faskhutdinova, photo story; Craig Leener, column writing; Austen Montero, news feature; Melinda Spencer, opinion.