|What is First-Year Promise?
The First-Year Promise Program will save a student and his or her family more than $1,500 for the year.
First-Year Promise gives qualified incoming students the opportunity to attend College of the Canyons tuition- and fee-free for their first fall and spring semesters. The program is exclusively for first-time, full-time enrolled freshmen who have applied to and been accepted into the First-Year Promise Program.
- Up to 15 units per term of enrollment and student fees waived for the fall and spring semesters.
- Parking permit or city bus pass per term for fall and spring.
- $100 bookstore gift card per term for fall and spring.
- Priority enrollment and registration for fall and spring.
- Enrollment into English and math courses needed for success and completion.
- Weekly counseling contact in the fall.
- Career exploration and guidance.
How Much Will I Save?
- $46/unit up to 15 units per term (savings of up to $1,380)
- $10/year for Student Center Fee
- $20/term for Student Health Fee
- $15/term for Student Support Fee
- $1/term for Student Representation Fee
- $50/term for parking $100-plus of books by using Open Educational Resources (OER) and the bookstore gift card each term.
• Be a California resident or AB540-eligible student.
• Graduate from the William S. Hart Union High School District or a neighboring high school district in spring 2017.
• Enroll in Counseling 150 FYP this summer.
• Enroll in fall 2017 designated FYP courses, including English, math and counseling, and maintain at least 12 units.
• Enroll in spring 2018 and maintain at least 12 units.
• Maintain a minimum 2.25 GPA.
• Participate in all program elements, such as supplemental instruction, faculty mentoring, etc.