- About Math & Science Tutoring
- Tutor Schedules
- Workshops & GLAs
The Learning Center (TLC) offers students individual assistance for math classes. Math tutors are present during all operating hours at both the Canyon Country and Valencia Campuses.
Tutors are able to help students through every aspect of their College of the Canyons math classes from homework to understanding concepts and processes.
Tutoring is provided on a first- come, first-served basis, and there are no appointments necessary. You may come to the TLC to ask math tutors for help on as few or as many of your homework problems as you want and stay as long as you want (close us down if you would like).
Although tutors are required to move from one student to another in order to meet the needs of the many COC math students who come to the TLC for math help, each student will be helped throughout the student’s entire stay. Students may return as often as they like.
We are an excellent and productive between class stop. We have textbooks and solutions manuals available for many of the classes and are available in limited supply for use by any COC math student while in the TLC.
Statistics tutoring is available at both campuses during all open hours.
What Can You Expect?
- Individual help with math skills:
- As long as you are enrolled in a math class at College of the Canyons, TLC math tutors will help you with homework and understanding processes and concepts.
- Help with computer programs used in Statistics and other math classes
- Assistance with many math tasks from basic skills through the skills required for success in advanced math courses:
- Many TLC math tutors have already taken the advanced math courses and are here to help you succeed
- A compatible, competent tutor:
- TLC math tutors are aware of the demands and challenges college students face, and are friendly, knowledgeable, and supportive and are here to help you through confusing statements.
Mcal (Math- Computer Assisted Learning)
- The M-Cal math program offers:
- Math 026, (a computer-assisted alternative to Math 025, basic arithmetic, by reviewing fundamental arithmetic and introduces algebra) and
- Math 059 (an introduction to the basic elements of algebra for those who need a preparatory course before enrolling in elementary algebra, A computer-assisted alternative to the math 058 lecture course)
- The TLC assists the M-Cal program by providing:
- In-class tutors for all of the M-Cal math classes and
- M-Cal tutors who are familiar with the M-Cal program.
The TLC offers M-Cal tutoring during all open hours.
For additional M-Cal information, please contact Mary Brunty at 661-362-3345 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The TLC offers ample tutoring in Microbiology, Biology, Business Math/Accounting, Physics, Engineering, and Chemistry, during specific hours. Please click on "Tutor Schedules" tab above for tutor availability:
Would you like to take the Ick out of Physics, the mystery out of Chemistry? Come to the TLC and we’ll do our best to help you put the “I” back Science.
Supplemental Learning Activities: Mathematics
Supplemental Learning Activities are available in the TLC Lab for students whether required by an instructor or completed on a voluntary basis. These activities include Supplemental Learning Workshops, Practice Jams, and Guided Learning Activities (GLAs). These activities are not offered during winter or summer semesters, however, for the schedule of activities and more information on offerings, please visit the Supplemental Learning webpage.
Friday, April 19th
9:00am – 10:30am Solving Systems of Equations (Intermediate Algebra Level)
11:00am - 12:30pm Solving Systems of Equations (College Algebra and Precalculus level) (Review of College Algebra Chapter 5)
Friday, April 19th
9:30am – 11:30am Lewis Structures