What is a Land Surveyor and what does he/she do?
A.  Land Surveyors measure and analyze distances, angles, and positions to develop “surveys” or maps. Licensed Land Surveyors may prepare legal descriptions for subdividing property, perform boundary surveys and determine boundary discrepancies, set monuments, perform construction staking, create topographic maps, and conduct aerial or photogrammetric surveys.

For more information about Land Surveying, check out the Your Career as  a Land Surveyor CLSA website and video.
Q. What career paths are available?
A.  Surveyors have a wide variety of duties and responsibilities. You may choose to work in the field or in the office and can pursue any one of a range of specialties within Land Surveying such as Photogrammetry or Hydrography. Check out some of the options here.
Q. How long does the Land Surveying Program take?
A.  The AS Degree program is a 2-year program that requires a total of 60 units (33 program units and 27 general education units). The Certificate of Achievement program is also a 2-year program and requires a total of 33 program units. How long it takes for you to complete the program depends on you, the student. Are you a full time student? Are you a part-time student? Are you working and going to school? How many units can you reasonably and successfully complete in any given semester?

What are the requirements to enroll in the program? How do I enroll?
A.  There are no program requirements to get started. Your first step would be to enroll at the college and then register for classes:  COC New Student Enrollment Information.

What classes do I have to take?
A.  The required courses for both the degree and the certificate can be found here. Additionally you can find recommended pathways showing the semester by semester sequence of courses for both the AS Degree and the Certificate here.
Since the program requires the completion of Math 102 Trigonometry, we highly recommend that you start your math courses/sequence your first semester in the program.  
Q. How much does the program cost?
A.  COC is a California Community College and our tuition and fees are established by the State of California. The current tuition and fees can be found on the Student Business Office fee page.

Q. What kind of certification do I get when I finish the program?
A.  The program offers both an AS Degree (60 units) and Certificate of Achievement (33 units). We also encourage all of our students to begin the California State Licensing process at or near the completion of their academic program. Completing the FS (Fundamentals of Surveying) exam offered by NCEES and obtaining the LSIT certification from the California State Licensing Board is very desirable. Check out our industry certification page for additional information.


Q.  How do I make an appointment with a Career Counselor?

A.  COC students can make an appointment to see a career counselor online.  Students have the option to meet with a Career Counselor, a Career Advisor, or a Job Developer and the appointment page clarifies each service.

Click here for additional Career Center services and information. All of these services are FREE to COC students. 

How do I make an appointment to see a college counselor? Are there online appointments?

A.  COC is one of a few community colleges in California that offer comprehensive academic counseling online. Students can schedule an appointment online and meet with a COC counselor through the WebEx application. All that is needed is: A computer or mobile device, with a microphone, webcam, and internet connection. To make an appointment visit canyons.edu/onlinecounseling. Appointments are also available for face to face meetings.

Here are some comments students have made about their online experience:
“It was easier to schedule an appointment.” - Anonymous student
“Convenient and saved time and money from having to travel to COC.” –
Anonymous student
“I was able to use the WebEx app through my iPhone to complete the counseling session, which made it super easy and really helped me out.” –
Anonymous student
“Definitely going to do online counseling again.” –
Anonymous student


Q. How do I get my Certificate or Degree?
A.  Degrees and Certificates are not automatically awarded. You will need to petition for your degree or certificate.  

The Petition deadlines can be found here and are also provided on the student calendar.

The Petition for Associate Degree and the Petition for Certificate forms can be found here.

Q. Are there resources available to help me prepare for the LSIT exam?
A.  Although the Land Survey program does not currently offer a review course, there are a number of online resources that provide review material and instruction. 
 • Caltrans LS/LSIT Video Exam Preparation Course Workbook

Q. How much does a Land Surveyor make?
A.  Land Surveying salaries vary depending on your skills, certifications, and employer. However you can expect that starting salaries may range from $35,000 to $60,000.

Q. Will I be able to get a job? Does the program provide job placement services?
A.  Although the program does not provide formal job placement services, most of our students are hired before they complete their program. We work closely with local industry and provide internship opportunities. Additionally we frequently receive inquiries from industry looking to hire our students and provide this information to all the students in the program. Here on campus we also have a career services office that (free of charge) can assist students with finding employment including resume writing/review, job searches, workshops, interview practice, etc. 

As an industry, the need for Land Surveying is projected to increase. For more specific information, check out the State of California labor market supply and demand data or the Bureau of Labor Statistics website.

Don’t see an answer to your question?

Contact Regina Blasberg
, Chair Engineering Technologies Department, Land Surveying Program at Regina.Blasberg@canyons.edu or (661) 362-5096 for further information.