What are some of the benefits of participating in the First Year Experience?
- Students will be introduced to the college experience. Learn about the college’s academic programs and services, explore majors and careers, and meet our faculty.
- Students will tour the Valencia campus, meet with counselors to choose a major and develop an Education Plan, become connected to the College of the Canyons community, and register for classes.
- Students attend classes with other FYE students interested in the same college and career pathway.
- Cohorts consist of Math and English as well as general education and career techinical education classes.
- Classes will contain integrated assignments designed to enhance understanding and learning.
- Students will meet with their faculty mentors during the fall semester to “check-in” and discuss how they are transitioning from high school to college.
FYE designated tracks and workshops (Click on the link below to see the Fall Cohort Schedules)
- Social Science track: designed for students interested in transfer and careers in psychology, social work, and criminology.
- Media and Entertainment Arts track: designed for students interested in video and media productions.
- Liberal Studies track:designed for students planning on entering the education fields and teaching.
- Science, Technology and Health Sciences track: designed for students planning on transfer and careers in the biological or health sciences.
- Supplemental Learning Workshops & Guided Learning Activities for English and Math
- FYE COHORTS FALL 2014.pdf
Early registration, scheduling and guaranteed enrollment in 14 to 16 units for the fall semester
- English, Math, and a General Education (GE) or Career Technical Education course (CTE).
Enrollment in English, Math, Counseling, and GE or CTE courses for the spring semester
- Students can get a guaranteed pathway group of classes for Spring as well.