California Chemistry Diagnostic Test
The California Chemistry Diagnostic Test (CCDT) is a placement test for students who plan on enrolling in Chemistry 201, the first of the general chemistry courses sequence. The version of the CCDT we use is a multiple-choice test with 41 questions, which must be completed in 42 minutes. A passing score allows a student to enroll in Chemistry 201, as long as they have successfully met the math requirement for that course. Students who do not pass the CCDT must take Chemistry 151, or wait 6 months to retest.
In order to take the test:
- You must have an application on file with Admissions and Records.
- Come in during the hours listed below.
- Bring a picture ID to the Assessment Center.
- You must not have received a grade from a Chem 151 course. Grades in CHEM 110 will not prevent you from taking the test, but a grade (even an F) in 151 will.
- *** Though you may take the CCDT prior to completing the math requirement for the course, you should be aware that you must complete MATH 70 with a passing grade or have a STEM placement beyond math 70 in order to enroll in 201 (regardless of your CCDT placement result).
You will be provided with a pencil, scrap paper, a periodic table, and a calculator.
Your results will be e-mailed to you on the Friday following your test.
College of the Canyons does not accept CCDT scores from other institutions.
Chemistry Testing Hours
** Valencia Campus** ONLY
LTLC Room 168
Monday through Thursday
9:00am – 4:00pm
9:00am - 12pm (noon)
You can take the CCDT once every 180 days (6 Months), as long as you have not already completed (or have a letter grade in) Chemistry 151.