Child Development Grant Program

The Child Development Grant Program is a need-based grant designed to encourage students to enter the field of child care and development in a licensed children’s center.  Beginning with the 2017-18 academic year, the Child Development Grant Program will no longer offer new awards.  Eligible students who received payment(s) in the 2016-17 academic year will have the opportunity to renew their awards for the 2017-18 academic year.

How Much Can A Student Receive?

Selected grant recipients who are attending a two-year postsecondary institution, such as College of the Canyons, maybe eligible to receive up to $1,000 per academic year, and recipients attending a four-year university maybe eligible to receive up to $2,000 per academic year.

What do I need to Apply?

To be eligible, an applicant must meet all of the following requirements:
  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen;
  • Be a California resident or meet AB540 criteria;
  • Meet federal Selective Service filing requirements;
  • Submit a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA);
  • Enroll in approved courses leading to a Child Development Permit;
  • Be nominated by an eligible postsecondary institution or nominated by the employing agency (The employing agency must hold an approved waiver of staffing qualifications on behalf of the applicant.);
  • Maintain at least half-time enrollment in approved courses leading to a permit;
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (Eligibility & Academic Standards);
  • Commit to full-time employment in a licensed children's center in California for a period of one year for each year you receive the Child Development Grant.

How do I Apply?

Two forms are needed to apply for the Child Development Grant:

What happens after I Apply?

  • The California Student Aid Commission will select grant recipients each academic year from the nominees submitted.
  • The applicants will be scored based on the student's financial need and academic achievement.
  • Once all of the above is completed, the California Student Aid Commission will send a letter notifying you of your award status.
  • Eligible grant recipients will be disbursed funds through the financial aid office.
Note that the amount of the Child Development Grant, when combined with a Pell Grant, may not exceed the student's cost of attendance.