Applicant: First-Time Freshman (Outside the U.S.)
An international first-time freshman applicant is a student who wishes to study at College of the Canyons on an F-1 (student) visa or J-1 (exchange) visa, who does not yet have an F-1 (student) visa or J-1 (exchange) visa, and who is applying from outside the United States.
Items to Complete
International applicants (outside the U.S.) to College of the Canyons are required to complete the following:
- Submit the ISP Application Form to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at the ISP Office at the Valencia campus. When submitting the application, make sure to attach a current photo of yourself. This photo must be recent, and may be either a selfie, or a photo someone else has taken of you.
- Provide a bank statement dated between 180 days and 60 days from the start of your classes. This bank statement must show, at least, the amount listed on the tuition and fees page for the academic year.
- If you are being sponsored by someone outside the U.S. or are sponsoring yourself, submit the Affidavit of Financial Support Form. If you are being sponsored by someone inside the U.S., submit the I-34 form in addition to submitting an Affidavit of Financial Support.
- Have a licensed physician or medical professional fill out a Freedom From Tuberculosis Form. Applicants are required to demonstrate that they are free of tuberculosis infection or are on a medically approved treatment plan. Please submit this form to email@example.com.
- Submit proof of completion* of secondary education/high school. This may include a graduation certificate, diploma, or transcript.
- If you have attended a college or university in the United States, submit transcripts from each college or university. If you wish to apply for college credit from a previous post-secondary institution, you must provide ISP with two official transcripts.
- Submit proof of English proficiency** (see table below).
*If you have not yet completed your secondary education, but will do so before classes start at College of the Canyons, you may send us a letter from your school principle telling us that you are on track for completion.
English Language Requirement
The English language tests and minimum scores listed in the table below are accepted by College of the Canyons for international applicants.
**If your score is below the acceptable level, you may still apply for English Language Training.
Alternative proof of English language proficiency includes:
- Proof of citizenship from a country that uses English as a primary language in its educational system;
- Transcripts from a U.S. college or university verifying a minimum of one year attendance and completion of General Education classes with a GPA of 2.0 or above;
- Transcripts from a college or university that provides instruction in English verifying a minimum of one year attendance and completion of General Education classes with a GPA of 2.0 or above;
- Graduation certification or transcripts verifying graduation from a U.S. high school.
After You Apply
As soon as you are accepted to College of the Canyons:
- Complete the College of the Canyons Online Orientation through your My Canyons account.
- RSVP for the on-campus Mandatory New Student Orientation.
As soon you arrive in Santa Clarita check in at the ISP office.
The ISP Office is located in the Student Support Center (SSC) - 123.