F-1 Student Employment



On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment is limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session, and 40 hours per week during official school breaks. More details regarding on-campus employment for F-1 students can be found here​.

Off-Campus Employment

​For F-1 students, off-campus work authorization options are:

How to Obtain a Social Security Number (SSN)

F-1 students are subject to special documentation requirements as well as special immigration status verification rules. For employment in which an Employment Authorization Document is unnecessary​ (CPT and on-campus employment), the Social Security Administration will not process an application for a Social Security Number if it is more than 30 days in advance of the scheduled employment start date. For employment that requires an Employment Authorization Document, the employment start date on the Employment Authorization Document must already have been reached before the Social Security Administration will process the application​ for the Social Security Number.


Nonresident Alien Income Tax ​Basics

Aliens temporarily present in the United States as students, trainees, scholars, teachers, researchers, exchange visitors, and cultural exchange visitors are subject to special rules with respect to the taxation of their income.​ Click here for more information.