Oral Histories and Institutional Review Board Approval*
In some forms of social and behavioral research which require participation of human subjects (e.g., oral histories), projects will require review by the College’s Institutional Review Board. In addition, depending on the research project, students may be encouraged to complete a short online IRB training course. (See https://www.canyons.edu/offices/IRB/Pages/default.aspx for more information regarding the IRB process.) Below are some instructions for completing the online IRB training through the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) Program that you can share with your students:
- Accessing the Training: To begin the CITI online training you can access the Training link on the College’s IRB websitehttp://www.canyons.edu/offices/irb. You do not have to complete the modules in one sitting. You can go in and out of the training at your leisure.
- Follow the steps on creating an account. For a participating institution, select College of the Canyons. The other fields on this screen can be left blank. The next few screens will prompt you for information like name and email address, user name, etc. For continuing Education Units (CEUs), you can select no. For role in human subjects’ research, select Student Researcher - Undergrad. When prompted for which course, select Basic Human Subjects – Social and Behavioral focus.
- Learner Group: You will be asked to indicate the “learner group” for which you are completing the modules (question 1) For Students select “Students conducting no more than minimal risk research”. Question 2 on the “Select Curriculum” page asks users to identify their learner group. Students will select the last option “I have not completed the Basic Course”. Students will not check any boxes in question 3. For Faculty select “Social & Behavioral Science Researcher”.
- Activate the Account. Once you complete the registration process, you will be able to activate the account by selecting the link that is emailed to you.
- Log in and complete the course. Lastly, complete the three required modules. You will need to complete them with an overall 85 percent pass rate. Once completed, the College’s IRB office will receive and email confirmation. You will then receive credit for the training. It’s a good idea, however, to print the screen which indicates completion of the course.
*In addition, all respondents are required to complete a Consent form, since they are serving as a subject in the oral history research project. Please go to the CBL homepage at https://www.canyons.edu/Offices/ServiceLearning/Pages/default.aspx and “click” the tab labeled “Forms.” Scroll down the menu and “click” on the link labeled “Oral History Consent Form” to print a hard copy of the document. Once signed by your interviewee, please submit the original copy of the Release form to your instructor who will then forward the document to the CBL Office.