email-icon_26.png      ShareThis_32_ts.png

F R E Q U E N T L Y   A S K E D   Q U E S T I O N S

Facebook_32px_nb.png  Twitter_32_ts.png   Instagram_32_ts.png   YouTube_32_ts.png 


Can my VA benefits be suspended for any reason?
Yes, a student on academic probation will have VA educational benefit payments suspended if they fail to make satisfactory academic progress in accordance with the academic policies stated in the college catalog.

Do I get BAH while enrolled in distance learning?
If your entire enrollment is distance or online training you are entitled to 50% of the national average BAH portion of the Post 9/11 GI Bill™. If just one of your classes is categorized as "in-residence" and you are otherwise eligible, you would be entitled to the applicable BAH rate for the time you are engaged in "in-residence" training.
This may include in-residence course(s) at the secondary school, provided you will receive credit toward your degree program for those courses. The BAH will be determined by the ZIP code of the "in-residence" course(s) school.

Do I need to renew my benefits each semester?
Yes, it is your responsibility to notify the VA office each term if you want your benefits to continue. To do so, please submit an updated VP20 for that semester. 

How do I update my address and Direct Deposit information?
If you are currently receiving benefits or have received benefits in the last year, the WAVE online system is the simplest way to update your address and Direct Deposit information. Or you can call the Direct Deposit Line at 1-877-838-2778.

How do I verify my enrollment?
If you're receiving the Active Duty or Reserve GI Bill or REAP, use the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE), or call our toll free interactive Voice Response telephone line at 1-877-VA-ECERT (1-877-823-2378) to verify your attendance.

How long does it take for my information to process?
For first time applicants it can take up to 90 days and for students who are transferring benefits here from another institution it can take up to 30 days.

How long is the Cal Vet Fee Waiver letter good for? Do I need to reapply?
Your CalVet Fee Waiver award letter is good for the academic year indicated on it. This always starts with a Fall and ends in Summer. You will need to provide a new letter before the start of each Fall term to be awarded for the upcoming year.

How many training hours must the student be enrolled in to qualify for the full allowance?
For Fall and Spring semesters, the student must be enrolled in at least twelve (12) units to receive full-time status and benefits. Part-time students must maintain at least seven (7) units to receive benefits. Summer and Winter courses will be evaluated individually by the VA.

How do I replace my DD-214?
Visit the National Archives Online to request a replacement. 

If I used all of my months of benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB), am I still eligible for benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill™?
If you used all of your months of benefits under MGIB, you may still be eligible for benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill™. If you have qualifying active duty service after September 10, 2001, and meet all of the eligibility requirements for the Post-9/11 GI Bill™. For example, if you used 36 months of benefits under MGIB and you are eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill™, you may receive up to 12 months of benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill™. You cannot receive more than a maximum of 48 months of benefits under any combination of VA education programs.

My information on the WAVE system is not correct, what do I do?
You can contact the Veterans Certification Office to make sure we have transmitted the correct information to the VA. If we have done everything correct on our side, then you will have to contact the VA at (888) 442-4551 or by e-mail through the GI Bill website at and click on "questions and answers" to submit in inquiry.

What are mitigating circumstances? 
Mitigating circumstance are circumstances beyond the student's control that prevent the student from continuing in school or that cause the student to reduce credits. Some examples are called, active duty, immediate family death, loss of children, unavoidable employment or geographical change, and an illness or injury.

What is the difference between in-residence training and distance learning?
In-residence training for undergraduate students consists of regularly scheduled standard class sessions (at least once every two weeks). Distance learning consists of interaction between the student and the instructor or (who is physically separated from the student) through the use of communications technology instead of regularly scheduled, conventional classroom or laboratory sessions.
Yes, online classes are considered distance learning. Yes, you can take both residence and distance learning courses at the same time.

What must I do if I change my course load/training time?
If you change your course load at any time you must submit a VP-20 for to your school VA Office documenting your change. The official will send documentation to the VA to adjust your benefits, and inform VA directly for your course load/training time change. 

I am a student at College of the Canyons and want to take additional classes at a different school, how can I have those classes certified?
If College of the Canyons is your primary institution, we can provide a Parent School Letter to the other school you are currently enrolled with. The class(es) taken at the other institution must be degree applicable and transferable to our institution. Once you enroll at the other campus, bring a copy of: your free statement/registration - showing that you have cleared your fees, a class list, and a course description for each class. Please contact your VA Counselor for more details. 

I wasn't paid the right amount, how can it be fixed?
You can contact the Veterans Resource Center to make sure we have transmitted the correct information to the VA. However, if we have and your payment is still incorrect, you will need to contact the VA directly. You can contact them by phone at (888) 442-4551 or by e-mail through the GI Bill website at and click on "questions and answers" to submit an inquiry.

How will schools receive payments under the Post 9/11 GI Bill™?
A VP-20 form must be turned in every semester for each class that you are registered in on the same day you register. If you do not turn in the VP-20 form on the day of your registration you can be dropped from your classes. Schools will receive tuition and fees and Yellow Program payments directly from the VA on behalf of each eligible student.

How can I ask a question that is not included on this F.A.Q.?
You can give the office a call and they would be happy to answer any questions you have at (661) 362-3469 or e-mail us at


             Dividers D1.png
 Facebook.png  Twitter.png
Instagram.png  YouTube.png