Breaking News & Announcements!
- Apply and register through College of the Canyons - Admissions and Records.
- Students will receive all college notifications through my.canyons email. Sign up for the my.canyons email address when you apply or register.
- For a listing of current classes check - Class Schedules.
- COC Bookstore
Announcement - April 17, 2020
- Due to the ongoing National Emergency COVID-19 we will be canceling our Summer 2020 EMT Program classes including:
- EMT class (Health Science 151),
- EMR classes (HlhSci 046)
- EMT Refresher (HlhSci 153)
- Currently the plan if to offer the EMT class and EMR class in the Fall 2020. Next Refresher class is tentatively scheduled for Winter 2021.
Announcements - March 1, 2019
- NEW!!! College of the Canyons now offers NREMT testing through our TLC (The Learning Center)
- Apply and register through the NREMT website.
NEW!!! Mandatory one-time Training and Testing! By July 1st, 2019, all California EMTs must receive training and testing in Administration of Epinephrine, Administration of Naloxone and use of the glucometer (including proper finger stick technique.) EMTS must present a completion certificate to the EMS Agency through which they re-certify to be in compliance with this mandatory training. This is in addition to the California Skills Verification testing. Currently COC does not offer this one-time training and testing, but offers the California Skills Verification testing through its Refresher class - HlhSci 153.
COC does not offer this one-time training and testing, but offers the California Skills Verification testing through its Refresher class - HlhSci 153.
Next EMT Class (HLHSCI 151)
Our EMT classes are held Fall, Spring and Summer. - Check Class Schedule.
Next EMT Refresher Class (HLHSCI 153)
Our EMT Refreshers are held Winter and Summer- Check Class Schedule.
Student must attend all four days. No exceptions.
Students must apply and register through Admissions and Records for the Refresher Course, Health Science 153. This course is approved for 24 hours of Continuing Education.
If you are having difficulty registering for this class because:
- You successfully passed the Refresher class in the past Complete a "Petition for Course Repetition", available in Admissions and Records.
- You took your initial EMT course at a different college or location,
Complete a "Petition for Course Repetition, available in Admissions and Records and attach a copy of your current or lapsed EMT card and if available, a copy of your original EMT Course Completion form.
Turn this in to Admissions and Records, attention Robynn Fridlund. Once it is submitted to A&R, it will be reviewed and if granted, A&R will notify the student through their my.canyons email account. The student may then register for the course.
If you have any other concerns, please email Patti.Haley@canyons.edu and include your phone number and name.
Announcements - June 12, 2017
RECERTIFICATION CHANGES - EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2017
Skills Verification Testing: Effective July 1, 2017 the skills required for California recertification have changed. They now include, Trauma assessment, Medical Assessment, Bag-Mask-Valve Ventilation, Oxygen Administration, Cardiac Arrest Management w/AED, Hemorrhage Control & Shock Management (wound packing), SMR long board, KED, Penetrating Chest Injury, Epinephrine, Naloxone (Narcan), Childbirth and Neonatal Resuscitation.
California Recertification regulations have changed. Please check L.A. County EMS Agency for additional information or the new EMT regulations which are posted at California Emergency Medical Authority.
L.A. County EMT Scope of Practice 2011 (effective July 1, 2017) has ceased to exist and is no longer required due to the revised EMT Regulations.