Skip to main contentSkip to footer

How to Apply


For applicants outside the U.S. intending to obtain F-1 visa

  1. Submit the application documents listed on the checklist on the Apply Now page for your student group.
  2. Receive the Certificate of Eligibility document (Form I-20 ) for F-1 visa application.
  3. Pay the SEVIS fee to the U.S. Government either through the online services at or in person at the U.S. embassy.
  4. Schedule a visa interview appointment with the U.S. embassy.
  5. Attend the visa interview appointment.

The International Services and Programs (ISP) office will evaluate your application and documents for admission. If complete, we will issue the acceptance letter and the Form I-20 for outside-the-country applicants for student visa application. 

For applicants inside the U.S. currently in F-2 (dependent) status

Dependent family members in F-2 status can attend College of the Canyons - however they may not accept employment nor engage in business. Please contact us for details.

Restrictions on F-2 dependents

The following are restrictions placed on F-2 status holders by U.S. Immigration Law:

  1. F-2 spouses may not engage in a full course of study.
  2. F-2 spouses and children are permitted to enroll in "less than a full course of study," even if the course of study done part-time leads to or counts towards a degree.
  3. Study that is "avocational or recreational in nature" is permitted "up to and including on a full-time basis."
  4. F-2 children may engage in full-time study at the K-12 level.
  5. F-2 spouses or F-2 children who wants to study full-time at a post-secondary level should apply for a change of status with USCIS to F-1 before beginning a full course of study.
  6. F-2 spouse and children violate their nonimmigrant status by enrolling in any study except as provided in the sentences above.

F-2 dependents could engage in Language Training Program or other part-time study for "avocational or recreational" purposes on a part-time or full-time. However, the nature of the study would have to be taken into consideration in assessing the limits of this exception. For example, even part-time study might be interpreted as something other than "avocational or recreational" by DHS (Department of Homeland Security) if it counts towards degree requirements, leads to a specific educational or professional objective, or if it satisfies a prerequisite.

Extension of stay for F-2 dependents

Dependents in F-2 status are permitted to stay in the United States only to the extent that the F-1 student is authorized to stay. F-2 dependents maintain their status through the F-1 student maintaining their status. Like F-1 students, F-2 dependents are required to keep their passports valid at least six months into the future.

Visits abroad and re-entry

An F-2 dependent leaving the United States temporarily must have the documents needed to re-enter the United States. As is the case of the F-1 student, the F-2 dependent needs a valid passport and visa (unless exempt from visa requirement), and an I-20 signed by the DSO for travel. F-2 dependents are eligible for automatic extension of validity of visas on the same basis as F-1 students.

Departure or termination of status

An F-2 dependent's status is valid only if the F-1 student continues to maintain F-1 status. F-2 dependents must depart from the United States "upon the termination of the status of the principal F-1 alien."