Skip to main contentSkip to footer

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)


Prospective Students

What’s the first step to applying as an international student?

The first step to applying as an international student is sending an email to . You will receive an email back with what documents are required for admission.

When do I get my I-20?

After all the required documents are submitted and reviewed the international office will issue an acceptance letter and I-20 within 2-3 business days.

When/how do I get my classes?

You will meet with an academic advisor in person or online. You will discuss the classes that will make you successful in achieving your academic goals in accordance with your major.

When do I get a student ID number?

Upon receiving your acceptance letter. Your student ID number will be clearly marked on your acceptance letter. You will also receive instructions via email on how to set up your school account.

What documents do I need to be accepted to COC?

You can find all the required documents needed for acceptance HERE.

I have my student ID now what?

  1. Create My Canyons account with your student ID number. Go to My Canyons.
  2. Finish COC Online Orientation. You will see the icon in My Canyons once you create your account.

When do I pay money?

You don’t pay any money to the college until you register for your classes. Once you register for classes you must pay tuition the same day.



What is IELP?

IELP is our Intensive English Language Program designed for students whose ultimate goal is to master college level English to prepare for degree courses.

When do IELP classes occur?

They occur in 8 week sessions throughout the year. Classes generally take place Monday through Friday starting at 9:00 am.

How long does the IELP program last?

Most students are expected to complete the program in two or four 8-week sessions, depending on their starting level. The maximum length of the program is one year.

How is my level of English tested before and after IELP?

It is tested with the EFSET Plus English test in person at College of the Canyons before your first session. You are then retested during the last week of the session to evaluate your English comprehension.

Can I only enroll in IELP Writing or IELP Speaking?

No, the IELP subjects are designed to complement each other and to provide IELP students with a full course load.

Do I earn college units with IELP courses?

No IELP courses are non-credit classes, however, IELP students are gaining the essential academic English skills toward their goal of an associate degree or associate degree for transfer.



How do I prepare to transfer?

To prepare to transfer, it is recommended that you meet with an advisor that can help you understand your educational plan and to assist with selecting the right classes for your major. Creating a plan with an advisor will help you stay on track towards transferring.

How long does it take to transfer?

There are various factors that influence one’s length of time prior to transfer such as major, level of English, etc. To create the best education plan that matches your desired goals, it is best to meet with a counselor one-on-one.

How does Summer and Winter classes impact my transfer?

Summer and Winter courses are great for students who wish to expedite their transfer to another university. If you are looking to fast-track your transfer, then Summer and Winter classes can help.

Can I transfer in units from a college from my home country?

While it is possible to transfer in units, a student would need to first have their units evaluated by a NACES approved translation service (link). Once a student receives their results, they would need to make an appointment with a counselor to go over the next steps.


Campus Engagement

What student clubs can I join?

Student Clubs change every semester. If you don’t find a club the meets you interest, then you can create one! Student Development has a full list of clubs. For example, Global Citizens Association was started by international students. View their Instagram @coc_GC

What is Associated Student Government (ASG)?

ASG is the student organization which represents all students at College of the Canyons. The organization’s focus is on serving students with the goal of improving the student experience at COC, through advocacy and empowerment. International students can apply to be part of ASG!

Can International Students volunteer?

What better way to get involved in campus life than participating as an events volunteer? Join us as a volunteer in facilitating community and student oriented events on campus. Get engaged in campus activity. Be part of amazing events that support great causes, student life, community initiatives, and enrich your experience. Get Involved and Jump into action, apply online!

How do I contact my professor?

Professors will give you their contact information on the first day of class and in the syllabus. Make sure you take note of their office hours. Professors will have designated days and times where you can ask questions in person.


Ed Plan 

How do I know which classes to take to complete my Major?

Following the correct General Education Requirements along with the Major Requirements will help guide you towards completing your degree. Meeting with a counselor will also help you identify the right classes for you.

How do I know which classes will transfer to the University I wish to transfer to?

Meeting with your ISP Advisor will help you understand your options for transfer.

How do I know which major will lead me to my career?

Meeting with an ISP Advisor will help you discover which major aligns with your career path.

What GPA do I need to transfer to UCLA or Berkeley?

This depends on your major and contributing factors; it may also vary each year.

What University is best to align with my Major?

Using Academic tools, your ISP Academic Advising Team will help you find the best fit for your Transfer.


For any other questions, please e-mail us at