COC International Animation Festival
|SUBMIT YOUR ENTRIES BY APRIL 1, 2023|
COLLEGE OF THE CANYONS INTERNATIONAL ANIMATION FESTIVAL
Friday - Saturday
Hybrid, with in-person meetings at COC's Valencia Campus.
The College of the Canyons International Animation Festival (IAF) is a gathering featuring aspiring, young student animators. The festival will highlight young artists looking to continue learning their craft and building a community. Specifically, we are looking for community college, high school (and jr. high school), international, and four-year university students who are no more than sophomore/second-year level. With no submission fee, this is a great opportunity for first-time animators to exhibit their work.
Everyone is invited! This TWO-DAY FESTIVAL will showcase student-created ANIMATION FILMS.
Festivities will include:
Agenda for International Animation Festival 2023
|Friday, May 5, 2023||Saturday, May 6, 2023|
|9:00am - 9:30am||Morning Gathering
||9:00am - 9:30am||Morning Gathering
|9:30am - 9:45am||Welcome
||9:30am - 9:45am||Second Day Welcome
|9:45am - 10:00am||Introduction of Keynote Speaker
||9:45am - 10:00am||Introduction of Keynote Speaker
|10:00am - 10:50am||Keynote Speaker
||10:00am - 10:50am||Keynote Speaker
|11:00am - 12:30pm||
Panel: "Animation and Public Engagement"
|11:00am - 12:30pm||
Panel: "Industry Panel"
|1:00pm - 2:00pm||Lunch||1:00pm - 3:00pm||Lunch / Awards Ceremony|
|2:15pm - 4:30pm||Presentation of Films
|4:30pm - 4:45pm||Wrap Up
||3:00pm - 3:15pm||Wrap Up
All entries must be original, student-created films incorporating substantial animation components.
- Films must be produced after January 1, 2022
- Films may be of any length, but any submitted work of over 15 minutes in length may be presented in excerpted form
- In order to be admitted, the materials must be in English or presented with English
- If selected, you will be required to additionally submit a .srt document with your dialogue list in English
- Films must be submitted via FilmFreeway
- Group submissions are accepted
- Deadline: April 1, 2023
- Submissions Open: Monday, October 17, 2022
- Submission Deadline: Saturday, April 1, 2023
- Official Selections and a list of all submissions that were chosen to be screened will be announced: Saturday, April 15, 2023
- Event Dates: Friday, May 5, 2023 – Saturday, May 6, 2023
1. We strongly recommend that you triple check your audio levels and that your audio is NOT limited to one channel (i.e., right or left).
2. Any film that includes main dialogue that is not in English must be submitted with English subtitles packaged into the submitted video file. Standalone .srt files are not accepted.
3. If your film has subtitles please make sure they are "Title Safe". For a detailed explanation of "Title Safe" please visit https://eks.tv/title-safe-still-matters/
4. When uploading your submission, you must use the following file naming conventions:
- We will only except the file formats listed below:
- Do not submit films in 4K. Please submit your film in 1080 HD resolution. Any film files that are larger than 2GBs will not be accepted.
- Do not submit using a YouTube link as they cannot be downloaded. Any submissions with a YouTube link will not be considered for selection or screening.
- Films that are accepted into the festival will be screened in 16:9 aspect ratio. If your film is submitted in a different ratio, your film will be letterboxed to display on the 16:9 screen.
- All music, images, titles, footage and other copyrighted material used in your submission MUST be properly licensed. You must have permission and/or the proper rights to all content submitted
- There are various resources that offer royalty free music and images. We strongly encourage you to use original music
- Note that all submissions must be appropriate for a family-friendly forum in which minors and the general public will be viewers
- Each film must fit into one of the Age categories below, based on the age(s) of the
content creator(s) as of January 1, 2023, as relevant:
- Post-Secondary - Community College Level
- Post-Secondary - Freshmen and Sophomore Level
- Foreign Language (must be within one of the above three categories as well)
- Each film must be created substantially by an individual who fits into one of the above age categories, but they may be assisted by someone older (so long as that person is not credited as director, co-director, or the like)
- Additionally, each film may be submitted under this special topic:
- Climate Change
- There will be a submission awarded the People's Choice award, based on the above categories (and a third prize if it is also selected as best-in-show; see below for more)
- Note that a submission may win up to two prizes based on the above categories (and a third prize if it is also selected as best-in-show; see below for more)
- IAF is an international film festival and thus accept films from anywhere in the world as long as you met the age criteria referenced above as of January 1, 2023
- Any submission that does not meet these guidelines will NOT be considered for judging and will NOT be selected to screen at the IAF
- The IAF team reserves the right to reject any submission if it is considered inappropriate for a family-friendly forum in which minors and the general public will be viewers
*Kindly note that this event will touch on sensitive topics, including, but not limited to, race and race relations, catastrophic climate change, marginalized lived experiences, emotionally-fraught materials, and more. Any participant who registers agrees that they, or their parent or guardian (as relevant), consent(s) to them being exposed to such matters and will hold the Santa Clarita Community College District, as well as all of its subsidiary departments and entities, including, but not limited to, the College of the Canyons and the Office of International Services & Programs, harmless with respect to any and all forms of liability arising from viewing these kinds of potentially disquieting or provocative materials.
For more information contact ISP at firstname.lastname@example.org or 661-362-3580.
To see more ISP events visit our Events/News page.
+1 (661) 362-3580