Access Canvas at coc.instructure.com
- Log into Canvas with your CanyonsID
- Username: staff\lastname_first initial (e.g. staff\doe_j)
- Password: <this is the same as your email password>
- For help, visit CanyonsID Login for Staff
Canvas Course Template
Want to make your course design easier? Check out the College of the Canyons Online Course Template! This resource course shell includes a variety of ready-to-use course components for you to choose from, including an orientation module, example home pages and content module, and several powerful supplemental resources—all of which leverage effective pedagogy and accessibility principles.
Some Essential Canvas Guides:
- New Semester Checklist (Review this checklist for Canvas at the start & end of each semester)
- How to copy content from another Canvas course
- How to use the Canvas Accessibility Checker
- How to validate that links are working
- How to choose the course Home Page
- How to show Recent Announcements on the Home Page
- How to use the Gradebook
Key Tools and Functions within Canvas
If you are new to using Canvas, you may appreciate some orientation to key Canvas tools and functions.
- Assignments: Use for students to upload submissions, from informal reflections to formal written assignments and projects to be viewed and assessed by the instructor.
- Announcements: Use to send a quick message to your class.
- Discussions: Create space for students to engage with eachother and discuss class content - can also be a graded activity.
- Files: Use to post post key course documents, like the syllabus, readings, assignment sheets, etc. - can also be hidden from student view.
- Modules: Use to an organize course content for ease of student access.
- Pages: Use to create a Home Page, or create content for students to read or access that is not already created in a separate website or in a Word Document or other kind of document.
Call Canvas Faculty Support 24/7 (833) 286-2864
24/7 Canvas support for faculty available by chat, or by phone: (833) 286-2864
Improve student success, teaching and learning in your course with these Canvas Tools.
New to Canvas? Enroll in the online, self-paced training course "Intro to Teaching with Canvas" to learn the basics and become Canvas Certified at College of the Canyons.
Canvas shells are automatically created for all College of the Canyons course sections, and are available to instructors who are are Online & Hybrid Instructor Certified, or Canvas Certified. See "Want to Teach Online?" for more information.
To become Canvas Certified, you'll need to complete a short, self-paced (and Flex-credit-eligible) online course, which will orient you to Canvas, and show you where to find, and how to use the tools and resources to build accessible course content, communicate with students, provide feedback on assessments, and create and grade assignments. See Course Guide for more information. Once you complete the course, you will be "Canvas Certified" and able to use Canvas to supplement your face-to-face courses at College of the Canyons.
To become Canvas Certified, you'll need to complete a short, self-paced (and Flex-credit-eligible) online course, which will orient you to Canvas, and show you where to find, and how to use the tools and resources to build accessible course content, communicate with students, provide feedback on assessments, and create and grade assignments. Once you complete the course, you will be "Canvas Certified" and able to use Canvas to supplement your face-to-face courses at College of the Canyons.
If you are Canvas Certified and do not see the course that you are scheduled to teach in Canvas:
- First, check if your course is listed under "All Courses" in Canvas. See How do I view all my Canvas courses as an instructor?
- Please send an email to Chad Estrella, the COC Canvas Administrator: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your course name, section number and start date, along with any additional set-up requests (example, multiple sections in one course).
Canvas course shells will not be visible to students until the Instructor publishes the course. See How do I publish a course? for more information.
Have a question that's not answered here? Contact the Online Education team.