Log into Canvas: coc.instructure.com
Faculty & Staff Username: Network login (ex. 'smith_j')
First Time Password: e+employee ID # (ex. 'e123456')
After first-time log-in, change your password
For 24/7 Canvas Faculty Support call (833) 286-2864
Start & End of Semester Checklist
Essential Canvas Guides for how to...
Key Tools and Functions within Canvas
If you are new to using Canvas, you may appreciate some orientation to key Canvas tools and functions.
- Assignments: Use for students to upload submissions, from informal reflections to formal written assignments and projects to be viewed and assessed by the instructor.
- Announcements: Use to send a quick message to your class.
- Discussions: Create space for students to engage with eachother and discuss class content - can also be a graded activity.
- Files: Use to post post key course documents, like the syllabus, readings, assignment sheets, etc. - can also be hidden from student view.
- Modules: Use to an organize course content for ease of student access.
- Pages: Use to create a Home Page, or create content for students to read or access that is not already created in a separate website or in a Word Document or other kind of document.
Setting up Canvas for Remote Instruction
Consider organizing your content so that it is clear for students where to start and what to do. Items you may want to include are:
- A Welcoming Home Page that includes
- Your contact details
- Explain where to begin/clear starting point
- Link to COC's Canvas Student Support page (your students be new to it just like you!)
- Include links to specific guides your students may need, such as:
- Modules for content and assignments: What will students need to finish the term?
- Test-drive your course using Student View to ensure that everything looks and works as you intend.
- Publish your Module content
- Publish your course (from the Home page) when it's ready for students.
View Canvas Faculty Guides for up-to-date tutorials on using Canvas.
View Canvas Incident Reports to learn if there were any outages that may have affected your students.
Explore Canvas Release Notes to see the latest Canvas updates and features.
Visit the California Canvas Community to share ideas on how to use Canvas and support students statewide.