Coronavirus Update for Students
March 3, 2020
As the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak continues to develop, College of the Canyons is actively monitoring the situation, and is in contact with public health officials to stay updated and ready to respond to future developments.
While the number of COVID-19 cases is expected to increase, it is important to remember that as of March 3, 2020:
- No school closures have been ordered in California.
- No official health orders have been given to cancel public events in the U.S.
- No widespread quarantines have been ordered.
In our area, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health has determined:
- There is no immediate threat to the general public.
- No special precautions are required.
- There is no need to cancel school or social events.
- There are no restrictions on public gatherings.
Everyone at College of the Canyons is encouraged to continue with their regular activities and practice good public health hygiene.
Tips to Stay Healthy During Cold and Flu Season
Especially during cold and flu season, it’s important to follow these best practices recommended by public health professionals.
- Practice good hand hygiene. Wash your hands often, with hot soap and water for 20 seconds, or hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol solution. Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Avoid close contact with sick people. If you are sick, stay home, rest, and keep your distance from others.
- Cover when you sneeze or cough. Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze. Use your sleeve if you don’t have a tissue handy.
- Eat healthy. Practice healthy habits. Get plenty of sleep, stay active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids and eat nutritious foods.
If you have not done so already, please explore these websites which include a wealth of resources and up-to-date information about the coronavirus:
- LA County Public Health: http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/
- California Department of Public Health: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/Immunization/ncov2019.aspx
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
As we move forward, the college will continue to monitor the situation, maintain contact with public health agencies, and communicate regularly with the campus community.
– College of the Canyons Public Information Office
Distributed March 3, 2020