Coronavirus Update for Students
March 11, 2020
College of the Canyons is continuing to monitor developments in the coronavirus situation, and we are writing to provide you with a status update on where things stand at COC.
- At this time, we are not aware of any confirmed coronavirus cases at the college, nor in the wider Santa Clarita community.
- With that in mind, we are continuing with classes and campus events based on the guidance provided by the County of Los Angeles Public Health, state Department of Public Health, and Centers for Disease Control, as well as our state Chancellor’s Office.
- We have hired additional cleaning staff during both day and evening shifts. Their focus is on cleaning door handles and other frequently touched surfaces in high-traffic areas.
This is a dynamic situation and we recognize that things may change. We are developing contingency plans to move as much instruction online as possible in the event a campus closure becomes necessary. If it does, you will be notified by the college, and also receive directions from your professor about the specific details for your classes.
As a reminder, please follow these best practices recommended by public health professionals to help limit the spread of coronavirus, cold and flu:
- If you are sick, stay home, rest, and keep your distance from others.
- Wash your hands often, with hot soap and water for 20 seconds, or hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol solution.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Avoid close contact with sick people.
- Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze. Use your sleeve if you don’t have a tissue handy.
- Practice healthy habits. Get plenty of sleep, stay active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids and eat nutritious foods.
If you need more information, or links to coronavirus resources, please visit the college’s website: https://www.canyons.edu/administration/pio/notices/index.php
Protecting the health and safety of our college community remains our top priority. Thank you for your patience and flexibility as we adapt to the changing circumstances brought about by the coronavirus.
– College of the Canyons Public Information Office
Distributed March 11, 2020