Confirmed Case and Exposures
September 2, 2021
We are writing to provide notification about a confirmed case of COVID-19 that led to three exposures.
A student who last visited the Valencia campus (Canyons Hall) on Aug. 23 received a positive test result for COVID-19 on Aug. 24 and notified the District of the test result on Sept. 1. The student, who does not have any classes on campus, believes they contracted COVID-19 off campus. The student will continue to isolate for the required period.
Contact tracing showed that three individuals were exposed. Those who were exposed and are unvaccinated will self-isolate for 10 days. Vaccinated individuals who were exposed are not required to self-isolate, however they should self-monitor for any COVID-19 symptoms.
As mentioned in earlier cases, we understand the desire to know more about these situations. However, we must balance the concern that we all have for our co-workers and students with privacy laws. With that in mind, we are not able to provide more detail that could identify these individuals.
As a reminder, please continue to self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms each day before coming to campus. Do not enter campus if you are currently experiencing, or have in the past 14 days experienced:
- Shortness of Breath or Difficulty Breathing
- Congestion or runny nose
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
- Gastrointestinal problems such as nausea, diarrhea or vomiting
- Muscle or body aches
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, please contact our Employee COVID-19 Officer, Maria Calderon, at (661) 362-5563.
Free COVID-19 vaccinations are available at the Valencia campus:
- Student Center – The vaccination site in the Student Center atrium is open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday and Thursday and 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Walk-ins are welcome. More information about vaccines can be found at myturn.ca.gov.
Free COVID-19 testing is available in two locations at the Valencia campus:
- Parking Structure – The drive-through testing site in Parking Lot 7 is open 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Appointments are required. Make Appointment
- Student Center – Hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday and Thursday and 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Walk-ins are welcome, however appointments are recommended. Make Appointment
For more information about COVID-19, we encourage you to review the CDC's Frequently Asked Questions.
For details on resources available to college employees, please contact our Employee COVID-19 Officer, Maria Calderon, at (661) 362-5563. She will help you with information about benefits available under federal, state, and local laws, such as workers’ compensation, as well as options for COVID-19 related leave, including district-offered sick leave, leave under collective bargaining provisions, and protections against retaliation and discrimination.
We appreciate everyone’s continued efforts to heed health and safety guidelines and do their part to protect the health of our college community.
– College of the Canyons Incident Command Team